Craftsmen- woodworkers, metalworkers, artists

I did a quick estimate on what it would take to do diamond birds this morning. I based it on using 2 mm. diamonds, looks like approximately 150 stones, weighing roughly 4-5 carats. Of course we would be using high quality diamonds, VS clarity, E-F color. Diamonds are going to cost $1500 per carat, labor would be crazy expensive. I would guess I would charge roughly $1500 or more to set them. After thinking more about it, it would be REALLY difficult to set them. The inlays would have to be put into the neck first to level them( I assume) meaning diamonds would have to be set after. Holding the neck while setting them would be a big challenge, darn near impossible. I think the bigger issue would be wear on the settings and on strings. The strings over time would grind down the prongs holding the diamonds, and the diamonds would reek havoc on the strings. It would have to be a looker, not a player. I'm going to start laying out a truss cover today, I'm trying to figure out what design to use first.........
as a collegue i'd avoid diamond birds cause you can't hardly keep them clean from sweat and other dirt.
it is a guitar and i want to play it - the feel wouldn't be nice ether.
for at a lot of pavée stuff we use diamonds in SI1 and top wesselton colour g-h quality - means fine white!
that is way enough and keeps the price much lower.
no one would watch a 2mm stone with a loupe and even then you won't see big issues.
here is a ring in gold 750 with an great emerald, 2 raised triangle diamonds and a lot of diamonds around.
every stone is single enchased! not a cast but truely forged - was a hell of a work!
sorry for the phrase, but the photo really doesn't do justice..... :)

Smaragdring-mail.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy such a variety of art and crafts.

I do wood-working... some guitar work.. paint... sculptures; etc.

I have been known to do some pencil art...

Wow Aron, this is really impressive stuff! I love the time lapse video which shows the creative process and your palm trees on display at LGOCA are beautiful. I particularly like Marine layer 5.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Shawn!

I recently dropped 30 more paintings at the gallery. You can see them HERE!

In my thinking, the diamonds inlaid into a fretboard would need to be embedded into epoxy or hard surface that could create something hard and flat. If the diamonds were set as if in a ring, the jagged edges of the stone would make it very difficlut to play the guitar.

The second issue would be light. If the diamonds are inlaid into the fretboard, how would light get under the stone to allow them to shine? I'm in no way a jewler, so I may be way off on my assumptions.

hi shawn, you never need a light from below when you have a good cut, just from above.
when you have a finger in the ring you neither have light from below. ;)
the holes you see ofter in some rings under the gems are just for cleaning.

OT: i just watch an old santana concert on tv from 1987 - his guitar of course prs sounds awesome.

This may be a little off-topic, but hopefully not. I'm no artist. I've thought many times about learning to paint, but I've never followed through and done it. As far as musical arts are concerned, I think the old saying 'he ain't too good, but he sure is loud' may have been invented with someone like me in mind. ;)

When I think of music and painting, I think of this lady. On days when my own health problems are at their worst and I can barely get out of bed, I think of this lady. I hope to be able to meet her someday; I think she's an inspiration...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kqej/mouthartistcindi/

Have a great, safe weekend everyone.

Goldtop

Last edited:
Back