Cracking f-hole

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Hey, get your mind out of the gutter!

The f-hole on my Reclaimed Limited CE24 has developed a crack, and I’m thinking it might keep splitting further and that whole chunk will come off.

It’s definitely not one of the original ‘character marks’ from the old barn wood it was made from.

Looks like it’s time for a visit to the doctor. :(

X7H4cv6.jpg

Damn.. where's the "do not like" button for this post. Has the crack gone all the way thru to the inside of the guitar? Get it fixed then come back and show us some pics of the awesome fix!

I feel ya.. never like to see an f-hole get hurt.

okay I have been using those D'Addario humidipak things for my Taylor for a few years now and keep it always in its case. I probably have to buy 3 replacement packs per year and go through 2 in the winter and the 3rd lasts through spring through fall. Its worked well for the acoustic (Dry NE Winters and pretty humid summers) so I bought one for my CE shortly after I got it. I keep the CE in it's gig back and wrap the to pouch bag around the neck where it meets the body. It might be un-necessary for a PRS as they dry their woods out pretty good before construction, but I had an old strat that had fret ends popping out one winter and I didn't want to take the chance with my PRS.

It's worked good so far so I use the 3rd pouch from the 2nd kit in my "new"-ish strat case as well.

after you get that repaired I'd definitely recommend getting this kit and keeping the guitar in it's case or gig bag. ...Or if you want to keep it on the stand or wall, get a good room humidifier for the winter.

Ouch, that's a bummer. This thought did cross my mind when they first announced this line. I agree with everyone that humidity packs should help and that a repair should be relatively easy. Might even be worth an email to PRS Customer Service just to see if there's anything they'll do about it.

Is this something to be expected? I'm not saying the OP should or shouldn't want to take care of it. I'm simply asking if , because of the nature of the wood and it's history, is this type of crack/checking to be expected from this wood?

Ouch, that's a bummer. This thought did cross my mind when they first announced this line. I agree with everyone that humidity packs should help and that a repair should be relatively easy. Might even be worth an email to PRS Customer Service just to see if there's anything they'll do about it.
Yeah, it is wood from a very humid area.

I’ll try customer service, but if I have to pay for it that’s nbd. It’s a couple of years old and has been great.

Is this something to be expected? I'm not saying the OP should or shouldn't want to take care of it. I'm simply asking if , because of the nature of the wood and it's history, is this type of crack/checking to be expected from this wood?
Dunno. How many guitars are made from hundred year old Brazilian barns?

I’m not grumping at PRS. Just came here to commiserate with the fam.

Chicago winters dry? C'mon, who you tryin' to pull one over on??? Chicago is the capital of Bathtub Gin! :D:D

I do agree with the others, though. Should be an easy fix.

That is really a shame, good thing that you have spotted it before the crack was going to be unrepairable. Do post some pictures after the repair.

Yeah, Chicago winters can be dry.

Makes sense. Bummer it cracked but that's much less than my J45 did one winter. It had 2 cracks from the bridge to the binding behind the bridge and two from the soundhole to the bridge.

Fortunately I live in Nashville and have a ton of good repair tech here.

Oh man, I feel for ya! Time to invest in a humidifier or follow the Les Technique™ of case and humidipack storage.

Back