Cracked Lacquer at Neck Joint

sixstringoverdrive

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2005 McCarty and last November, noticed some lacquer problems around the neck joint.

I asked a top PRS dealer in Wisconsin their opinion - the tech said it seems cosmetic and the sales manager told me this is a common cosmetic issue with old PRS Guitars due to the lacquer thickness and moisture. Both said they couldn't do anything about it without resetting the neck. The tech had no issues do a fret level and setup.

I also asked PRS tech support and they said somehow the neck was comprised. Would require a reset and refinish to fully fix (like $2,400...yikes).

What I think happened is I had it out during a super dry winter here is WI with the furnace running a lot - I mean a lot (like every 15-30 minutes). The guitar was sitting on a stand close to the furnace (within 5-6 feet) but there's a half wall in between. With all the moisture getting sucked up I think the neck/wood changed and moved. There is also some lacquer cracking along the fretboard also making me think this is a humidity-caused problem.

At this point, the guitar sings and sounds great, especially after the fret level and setup. No tuning issues or sustain issues to be found. I've used it for multiple shows since finding this and nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm wondering a couple things from everyone:

1. Have you experienced something like this on your guitar? If so, how'd it happen?

2. What would you do? Just play the thing until you have noticeable problems (assuming that ever happens) or address it now?

I can post pictures if anyone would like to see what's going on.

Pics would help. But if it seems stable... I’d just play it.

I live in Chicagoland, and while it’s maybe not as cold as Wisconsin I haven’t had any problems with any poly cracking. The fretboard issue may be unrelated, as I have a couple that have had the finish lift from the rosewood.

Here's some pictures of it:

IMG-3397.jpg[

IMG-3399.jpg

I always start these with “I’m no luthier, but...”

I think that if the neck were “compromised” it would not be playable. The string tension, in addition to the mechanics of playing would not be possible if the neck joint was not 100%. If the joint popped loose, it would have easily broken the finish and the neck would be detached. Leon Todd of Ragdoll and internet fame has a story about a Mira that fell off of a stool and broke at the neck joint. I don’t think there is a half broken condition.

So, play it like it’s just getting broken in. If the neck breaks off, i don’t think it will be from sitting on a stand during a couple of WI winters.

I will call BS on that neck being compromised.
Just went down to look at all of mine and ALL of them are lighter at the neck joint !!
That is glue IMHO and to be honest my 513 looks very similar ( it has the same back finish )
Play it with confidence is my opinion, Just a bit of the glue joint showing.

From the pictures, I would say that appears to be surface movement of the lacquer and nothing to do with the neck adhesive/joint.

Agreed, that neck is not compromised. At worst it is from humidity and is a finish imperfection from the expansion and contraction. Could be glue or something like that. Definitely not a structural problem. Just cosmetic

I have to agree with everyone else. Nothing wrong with that neck. I’ve had a couple of older ones that looked similar. Play that baby, hard!

Back