Crack under tuner

That sucks... Something must have happened to it though, even a tiny localized bump to the tuner head?

That sucks... Something must have happened to it though, even a tiny localized bump to the tuner head?
I would have to agree; finish cracks are not unheard of, especially where two pieces of wood meet, and if there was a bond between two pieces of wood it might let go if there was a problem with the glue or something... but that kind of wood shear looks impact related, and I'd wager it'd have to be a pretty good whack too; it's lifted the screw!

Do you leave your guitar out on a stand?

I agree with the others. Had to be a bump of some kind. A luthier can fix it. I'd send it to the PTC.

I agree. Something has hit that tuner from the front. It did not, could not happen by itself. Maybe there is someone in the household who is not very forthcoming?

No kids and animals aren't around it. Strange. It does appear to be impact. But I just can't figure it out. I'd totally confess if I did. I'm just baffled to be honest. I guess it can't hurt to remove the tuner and look now.

There's a first for anything of course, but based on the way PRS handles their wood/necks you'd think a "spontaneous combustion" due to moisture or something was on the extreme low end of possibility.
I'd send that pic along with the serial number to PTC and see what they say.

I sent pics last night. I'll see what they say. I have a good local guy I may have to use.

I just looked at it again. I'm pretty sure it's been hit some how.

Good luck with that - has to be from an impact, but it does look like it could be repaired nicely.

Man that does stink...just saw this thread...sorry about that man! Are you anywhere near Birmingham, by chance? There is a true Luthier there that I'm sure could take care of it. Are you familiar with Burning Bush Guitars? PM me if not and I can get you his info, if you like...good luck !

Back