'COVID-19' Projects

Some of the herd will be getting some maintenance and new strings including the McCarty, Mira, D18 and then flatwounds on the new G6119TR. I've got some song ideas that've been on the looper for over a year now, maybe I'll finally get around to fleshing them the rest of the way out and get them recorded. I'd also love to sneak down to the record store tomorrow and pick up some new vinyl, but really I'm just trying to take each day as it comes. Stay safe everyone.

Although live is pretty as normal here in the North of Sweden, no lock down or anything just some papers with warnings and advice. The occasional hoarder we also have here but nevertheless I am also prepared with some jobs to do. One of the reasons I haven't been here much the last weeks.

When my cousin visited me two weeks ago we went out for a snowmobile ride, at least that was what we were supposed to be doing. Just 30 minutes out his (or better said, mine that he was driving) snowmobile broke down. That will be a hell of a job to fix.

IMG-20200229-211433.jpg

IMG-20200229-214514.jpg

And then there are bicycles of course as the winter is slowly changing into spring, I need to get my roadbike finished. Building a KTM carbon frame and the weight goal is sub 6 kg. Will be tight to make it. Even after that one there is still another roadbike as a project and a Canyon full suspension which you can see in the back ground.Also have some upgrades coming for the Custom but still need to wait for some parts, will be soon though as I received a message yesterday that my order is on the way to Sweden. Will make a thread about it as soon as everything is in.

That’s going to leave a mark!

Strings, tubes, and pickups:

New strings on these four today.
eR6xQu4.jpg

Playing with tubes on these. Man! I got spoiled with the BiValve being Class A on both sides. I swapped power tubes on the Flexi, but forgot to rebias. Guess what? It sounded like sh!t! Now, it sounds killer. And, both together? Fuhgehtaboutit!
lg7Y02X.jpg

Like @Tosca, I love options! So, my '95 Strat Plus got a makeover! Duncan Classic Stacked neck, Larrivee P-90 (killer pickup, but not potted, so I have to watch it), and a Duncan P-Rails. The top knob is Volume for neck and middle, middle knob is Volume for bridge, with a push/pull to select P-90 or full humbucker, and bottom knob is master Tone. P-90s are amazing on Strats! My dad had a PRS Soapy with a maple board, and it was killer.
LwmPmKS.jpg

What do you guys use to hang up guitar straps? I started to drive some nails in my wall and thought there’s gotta be a better way.

I roll them up and keep them in the appropriate case, drape them over the triple Herc stand I keep out, or roll them up and tuck them in a container if I don't think I'll use them any time soon. Too many frickin' straps!

Well, my local blues jam finally became a victim of the great cancellation. The restaurant/bar where it happens held out as long as they could, but finally had to halt all their events. So it looks like any live music fun is out. But hey, the river is still there and walks are still free.

This is happening to the Std24 now. Will entertain myself by creating a new thread when it's done.
aOE7RNIl.jpg

Working on another guitar project as well. Tuned to B standard with 12-62 Mammoth Slinky strings. Suuuper fun to play. Will be swapping a couple parts on it and hopefully finding a luthier who doesn't have cooties to help with a good nut and setup. Not really related to the brand other than proof that lampshades look good on everything.

vGGFzv9l.jpg

What do you guys use to hang up guitar straps? I started to drive some nails in my wall and thought there’s gotta be a better way.
Surprised to see this question as I just solved this very problem this week! I like to have the straps with the guitar in case I want to play standing up. Each strap is set to the guitar it belongs with. All of my straps have Straplocks except one or maybe two, so I bought a dozen of the buttons only, and mounted them behind the hanging guitars, high enough that they can’t hit the rear of the guitar if it is pushed. The strap hangs for easy access, but is out of the way when not needed. Regular straps without Straplocks just pop over the button like an old school setup. I love it!

jC1SxwX.jpg

FJoGsuQ.jpg

Opgj7gd.jpg

Surprised to see this question as I just solved this very problem this week! I like to have the straps with the guitar in case I want to play standing up. Each strap is set to the guitar it belongs with. All of my straps have Straplocks except one or maybe two, so I bought a dozen of the buttons only, and mounted them behind the hanging guitars, high enough that they can’t hit the rear of the guitar if it is pushed. The strap hangs for easy access, but is out of the way when not needed. Regular straps without Straplocks just pop over the button like an old school setup. I love it!

jC1SxwX.jpg

FJoGsuQ.jpg

Opgj7gd.jpg

That's a great idea! Even without straplocks, the idea still works. Thanks for sharing.

Oh man, that brings back some memories! I bought a Univalve and a Flexi in the 2000s when they were the hottest thing going. I moved the Univalve on eventually because it was just too bright for my tastes. I always wondered if the Bivalve would be more to my tastes.

Now the Flexi... there's a Jekyll and Hyde beast of an amp. When it's having a good day, I think it's the best amp ever created, which is about 20% of the time that I plug in to it. The rest of the time... I just can't get the goods out of it unless I'm willing to run it flat out with no attenuation and that's a loud, loud experience that I'm not up for very often. Most of my love/hate thing with tube amps centers on that beast right there.

Oh, and I'm stealing your Flexi settings!

Strings, tubes, and pickups:

lg7Y02X.jpg

Oh man, that brings back some memories! I bought a Univalve and a Flexi in the 2000s when they were the hottest thing going. I moved the Univalve on eventually because it was just too bright for my tastes. I always wondered if the Bivalve would be more to my tastes.

Now the Flexi... there's a Jekyll and Hyde beast of an amp. When it's having a good day, I think it's the best amp ever created, which is about 20% of the time that I plug in to it. The rest of the time... I just can't get the goods out of it unless I'm willing to run it flat out with no attenuation and that's a loud, loud experience that I'm not up for very often. Most of my love/hate thing with tube amps centers on that beast right there.

Oh, and I'm stealing your Flexi settings!

I hear you! This is my second BiValve. I hate the built-in Hot Plate, and it is a LOUD amp. But, damn! It sounds amazing. Always. It's got huge iron, and it's so overbuilt. Tube rolling makes a bigger difference than in the Flexi, though I've noticed they like the same tubes (KT88s sound insanely glorious, but peels paint). On the Flexi, I pretty much always leave the boost on, and kick in the master to drop overall volume when I hit the front end harder. I also futz with speakers often. The BiValve likes the Jensen Black Bird in that wide 1x12 better than anything, though you can see the more extreme settings I'm using for tone.

And, the lesson I relearned: check the bias! Night and day.

I hear you! This is my second BiValve. I hate the built-in Hot Plate, and it is a LOUD amp. But, damn! It sounds amazing. Always. It's got huge iron, and it's so overbuilt. Tube rolling makes a bigger difference than in the Flexi, though I've noticed they like the same tubes (KT88s sound insanely glorious, but peels paint). On the Flexi, I pretty much always leave the boost on, and kick in the master to drop overall volume when I hit the front end harder. I also futz with speakers often. The BiValve likes the Jensen Black Bird in that wide 1x12 better than anything, though you can see the more extreme settings I'm using for tone.

And, the lesson I relearned: check the bias! Night and day.

I have to agree that attenuation on those amps just doesn't sound good. I do remember liking the Chinese KT-66s in that amp, and also some pre-WWII Visseaux 6V6s were wonderful. I've never tried KT-88s.

They gotta be cooking the speakers to sound right. Though with that said I haven't Frankensteined the Plexi to my Fractal load box and run that though the Axe-III for speaker simulation and effects... I know one thing I'm going to play with this weekend!

Back