'COVID-19' Projects

I’ve been building more tube amps. Here’s a modded 2204 I just finished:

62B754C6-8924-47BA-B347-D2AC7D6558FD.jpeg

C59063F3-00A1-4939-A0E8-DE80976F02B5.jpeg

2204’s are not short on treble output, no they are not! But it’s rock and roll, man! More in the oven...
Daaang, looking killer!

Speaking of projects, I was working on one today. While it didn’t involve a PRS today, it will tomorrow, which I will explain. But today, I worked on the ‘ol Les Paul. My buddy Sherman over at Stocktone Guitars sent me this stunning set of pickups. They were created while he was cloning the pickups in a ‘58 Les Paul Standard. They may not have been the perfect clone of the host guitar, they were close enough to have been made on the production line next to it. These sound like a beefy Tele bridge pickup. Seriously! Articulate, presence, authority. Since they went into my ‘79 LP Deluxe, the neck is not routed, so I can’t use his neck pickup. That’s going in my Custom 24!

stocktone.jpg

These are double cream hummers, which I like a lot. I might attempt to age them a little to match a little better, but we’ll see.

stocktonelp.jpg

Tomorrow, the CU24 gets the goods!

RMH Systems is the company I work for.

A mass email was sent out to all of us. They are restricting traffic in all of our offices and forcing sales and admin people to work from home.

They also assured us that in the event we as employees get sick or our industry is shut down we will still receive paychecks.

As serious as this seems to be getting I have to say I love the company I work for.

RMH Systems is one of the last great companies to work for. They treat us like gold. When I leave this company it will be because of retirement.

I am a traveling tech. Not sure at this point how to navigate my work and stay healthy. Looks like I'll need to make some decisions by monday morning.

You have mad skills, man! I like your style.

That flippin’ rocks! When I have the spare time and $$$, I’ll build a few amps, too. Your work is very clean.

Daaang, looking killer!

It's been an adventure. There are some stellar amp builders on www.ampgarage.com that have helped me tremendously. I wanted to understand classic Marshall circuits better, so I decided to build a few. So far I've built an 18-watt TMB/Plexi, a JTM45, and now a 2204 JCM 800. No better way to learn, IMO. I've hit plenty of rough spots to be sure! There's no replacing good soldering, lead dress and correct circuit design. But I've been surprised how quickly a great-sounding amp comes together, and not for too much dough. My next amp is very ambitious: a modded, discreet-channel Silver Jubilee. Currently ordering transformers...

Pretty much BAU this week.

Work from home
Hit the blues jam/eat some seafood with the Mrs.
Pack for moving next month
Go up to north FL for a couple days to see family
New pickguard for my Std24 comes today, so do some wiring tweaks, get it back together and rock out

Things could potentially get bonkers after this week if school stays on hiatus and if the Mrs gets a mandate to work from home. Two bedroom apartment with two adults trying to work while a bored 12 year old mopes around. All in the middle of preparing for a move...

Pretty much BAU this week.

Work from home
Hit the blues jam/eat some seafood with the Mrs.
Pack for moving next month
Go up to north FL for a couple days to see family
New pickguard for my Std24 comes today, so do some wiring tweaks, get it back together and rock out

Things could potentially get bonkers after this week if school stays on hiatus and if the Mrs gets a mandate to work from home. Two bedroom apartment with two adults trying to work while a bored 12 year old mopes around. All in the middle of preparing for a move...
These things are sent to test us.:p

Back