'COVID-19' Projects

Busy day here in the village. I woke up, made some cappuccinos, seared a roast, chopped some veggies, and got the crock pot going for dinner (which we just ate). It was yummy.

i-jf7zpqw-X2.jpg

Then I washed the Little Monster.

i-4cswgRs-X2.jpg

Then I yanked the winter wheels, cleaned the callipers, and put the summer wheels on it. Sure, its not quite time but the Little Monster gets to stay home until [insert date when COVID-19 pandemic ends]. Until then, I'm putting all the miles on the wife's car.

i-7xXHbbS-X2.jpg

I also sanded-down 16 pallets that I picked-up a few weeks back for my tweenie. She is making some sort of fun bedroom set with them.

i-KtphT9b-X2.jpg

After that, I chilled with the hound for a bit and had a beer. I have to say It Was A Good Day.

i-KLcPLdd-X2.jpg
Dude, thats an ambitious day! Me, I moved from the couch to the floor when the younger pooch stole my spot. She hopped down when she heard my rustle her foot bag. I’m back on the couch now. Whew, winded!

Not only has this virus shut down business, but it has also shut down busyness. So I decided to bake some bread.
Looks yummy. Wish I could still eat bread.

Today was one of the busiest days I've had in weeks. Started at 7:00 am, and I am still going. Probably won't stop until well after dark. On weekdays I am blessed to get to work from home and not lose pay. I try to stay on work stuff to give my employer an honest days work. By 5:00 I have supper to make and then clean up. By the time I'm done it's 8:00. Don't feel like starting a project that late so I just sit and type on this forum. Today I got to do things for the ol homestead. Felt good.

So, our store is still listed as an "essential services" business. This past week we did "push" in grand proportions. (Unboxing of product and product placement on shelves) My boss has requested that if we feel ill, do NOT come to work where we could infect others. (Colds, flu, whatever. Stay home and feel better soon)

Some of our employees have been spooked by working their usual 30-hour work week, but have remained healthy, thanks mostly to stringent cleaning routines each hour of touch surfaces (register screens and scan devices, payment kiosks, coupon machine, security lift windows, cooler door handles, etc.). We're provided nitrile gloves during work shifts, and can take breaks for hand-washing as required by policy amid Covid-19.

Our boss has made accommodations for older workers that limit exposure to Covid-19 by assigning them duties that limit customer contact. Our boss is using our slower business times for bringing us up to speed with store policy study modules we'd usually need to complete towards late spring/early summer. While they're only refresher courses we complete each year, the courses are valuable in that they promote a positive workplace, as opposed to a hostile one.

It took me the better part of 2 hours to complete the modules, and then off to break down pallets of product, unbox them on carts, and place them on shelves. My boss was forgiving of the fact that it wasn't possible for me to complete my assigned pallet that evening, because of the study modules. And, thankfully, he's reserving time for each of us to take time off from work during slower business weeks if we feel we might need it.

My boss is a good one, he's easy-going with few gripes about our performance. That, plus a mostly friendly staff makes for a good workplace, with only few customer-related issues were empowered to handle ourselves. Management is always there to step in just in case, and the high percentage of our customers are thankful that we're still open for business.

The mindset locally is that we can make it through this tumultuous time together. I just thought to share some of what my store does to insure customer health these days, in hopes if you might need to stretch your legs and drive to you local stores for necessities, we're there to help you find what you need, if we might have the items in stock. We do receive shipments weekly, but we don't know what's arrived until we unbox it and put it out on the shelves.

Thanks for your continued patience, and we'll keep an eye out for you if perhaps you might like to visit.

I've got an acoustic that needs a nut changing and thinking about it both my SEs probably need it as well (all came to me used having had the nut previously changed by "their local luthier").

Some baking, we finally managed to get some flour yesterday.

Thin out my distortion pedals, don't have loads but I think I've got enough to overcomplicate things.

This might highlight my musical limitations, but learn to blues solo in a key other than E.

Indulge my post-rock pretensions.

Track down the source of an annoying harmonic on my overdriven tones (see nut jobs above).

Spend a bit more time with my mandolin. (Can I say that here?)

There's also a 2.5 year-old going stir crazy in the house so the projects aren't going as well as they could be...

Back