Covered pickups or naked pickups?

Covered. Raw covers to be exact. If they start looking too worn, you can just take a 3M pad to them and clean them right back up and creates a cool pattern if you crisscross from E to E.

Aesthetically, I prefer covered pickups. Back in the '70s, we used to remove the covers from our humbucking pickups on our Gibsons because we read that they would sound better. But ya know, they didn't really. Yeah, the extra row of bobbins were exposed, but an adjustment of the amp levels the field.

Squabbin's look so cool. regret selling my 57/08 set. covered or uncovered, doesn't really matter, as long as their NOT zebra!

Love naked pickups, particularly the SE two tone. I like the look of mechanical things (I put in locking tuners with exposed gears also). I just like to see stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which one I like best. But I decided to put covers on this one.
IMG-20200428-172001-hdr.jpg

I prefer covered. In my opinion, with the type of amps and sounds I like, covered or naked sound difference is negligible so it’s more or less aesthetic. I do like the look of squabbins for uncovered. Although, I have at least one guitar in each variant. If I’m putting pickups in a guitar they will be covered.

Back