Counterfeit 2011 SC58

DJPogoff

Hello all.

I purchased a guitar that was advertised on eBay only as a PRS -- nothing more specific. There were only three pictures of the guitar on the eBay page. They were full length, body only, and headstock only. No pictures of the back of the guitar. I've posted only the picture of the headstock since I think this, alone, makes it clear that the guitar is counterfeit.

I asked the seller for the serial number, which he gave me. Later he sent me a picture of the back of the headstock where I saw the S/N, hand-written, as expected. I called PRS and talked with Shawn. He looked up the serial number and gave me all the details of the PRS guitar with that serial number. He said it was a 2011 SC58 with the Artist Package in Purple Heather. As you can see, the guitar is not Purple Heather and, now that I have it in hand, it's clearly turquoise (what PRS calls "Blue Crab Blue") and not a photographic color shift. What I think is a dead giveaway is the Paul Reed Smith signature on the headstock. On the SC58 (on all USA-made guitars?) the signature is inlaid. I think that the picture shows clearly enough that the signature is just painted on. With the guitar in hand (even with a magnifying glass, although not necessary), I can say with certainty that the signature is just painted on.

Other issues with the guitar that differ from a 2011 SC58:

- Three humbuckers without covers and with plastic surrounds, none of which is a 57/08, where the SC58 has two 57/08s with bone surrounds;
- A pre-compensated tail-piece only (exactly like what is on some of the SEs), where the SC58 has the new-for-2011 adjustable-saddle bridge and a separate stop tail-piece;
- The jack plate is oval metal with a partially-worn-off gold plating appearance, where the SC58 has a rectangular jack plate;
- A 2011 SC58 has Phase III tuners, where this guitar has locking, closed-back, all chrome plated, tuners with no PRS identification;
- The SC58 has binding on the neck (in all cases?), where this guitar has no neck binding, and no headstock binding.

There is likely more by which to identify this guitar as counterfeit but I'll stop here. Is this guitar as obviously counterfeit as I think it is? I'd really appreciate any feedback about the guitar, and advice regarding how to handle receiving a counterfeit guitar. I've opened a "complaint" with PayPal which they immediately escalated to a "dispute". On Monday, I plan to speak again with Shawn at PRS.

Thanks very much for any help with this.

David

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think you did the correct action by letting PRS know. If the seller is in the U.S. then you might see about filing a report with federal authorities.

Get your money back asap. you answered your question numerous times in you post above. The biggest piece of information that helps you is that you got from Shawn. DO NOT DELAY AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK>

i had to added. you have taken the correct step to work with paypal. also put a claim in with eBay about the seller. Not sure what PRS will do in this situation, but Shawn will advice on their possible actions. I would take pics for the claim and box it back up to return to seller. IF paypal agrees on your behalf, they will refund the money asap. I would put everything you have in your post in the claim.

Last edited:
Thanks to the two of you who have replied so far.

The seller does live in the USA -- in NJ. I have his full name, full address, e-mail address, and PayPal Id.

I am certainly attempting to get my money back ASAP. I'm about to call the bank which issues the credit card connected with my PayPal account. My understanding is that the bank will do a chargeback, but I'll find out when I call them whether they first want to wait until PayPal has completed their determination, at which time PayPal might already have refunded my money. PayPal told me that once a buyer's "dispute" is escalated to a "claim", the seller has ten days to respond. Then, PayPal makes a determination in favor of one of the parties.

@USMC/CPL, which federal authorities do I file a complaint with? It's not been clear to me whether this is a criminal matter or a civil matter. I kinda think it's both since I can sue, a civil action, in addition to the feds prosecuting a criminal case. Perhaps PRS is the party most interested in complaining to the feds. In these counterfeit situations, the name-brand manufacturer is interested in tracing the counterfeit product back to its producer. Then, they have a chance to put a stop to that source of counterfeits.

I would think that, in this case, the seller's motivation to cooperate with me quickly is his fear of losing his eBay and/or PayPal accounts. Of course, he ought to be afraid of federal prosecution!

Thanks again,

David

Last edited:
MAYBE the seller sold it in good faith, you never know. But that signature does look sketchy.

The grooves in the nut look massive as well, and the angle of the strings between nut and string posts look wrong to me, comparing to my brent mason - like they spread out way too much (like on a gibby).

Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, about this guitar is fake. Deal directly with Paypal and Ebay ASAP. Sorry, buddy. There's something to be said about an authorized PRS dealer transaction!

Anything counterfeit is a federal crime....might start with the secret service, they handle counterfeit money

Search counterfeit guitars online.

It's about more than just getting your money back, but help protecting a brand, to wit I am sure PRSh would appreciate.

Again, thanks so much to all of you who have replied to me with your impressions and advice.

I just sent a long e-mail to the PayPal Resolution Center with a very comprehensive, detailed, and accurate description of the whole matter. I hope -- and expect -- that PayPal will come down on my side, but who knows.

I found that federal law covering counterfeit trafficking is enforced by U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). I was expecting that the Department of Commerce or the FBI would have jurisdiction over counterfeiting. (See https://www.naw.org/govrelations/adv...?articleid=563).

NAW (National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors) states The federal criminal laws that prohibit any person from trafficking in counterfeit goods and services apply not only to the counterfeiter—the law applies with equal force to any individual or company that knowingly sells a counterfeit product. The penalty is up to $5 million and up to 20 years prison time. I can only surmise that ICE handles counterfeit trafficking because most or all counterfeit manufacturers and traffickers do not operate within the USA.

Thanks again,

David

The good news is that you'll get your money back. Also, you can keep the guitar and use it as firewood. You can report the incident to the authorities and they can proceed from there.

Is the serial number you were given anywhere on the guitar? If it isn't, then it demonstrates a deliberate attempt on the part of the seller to mislead you. If that's the case, he deserves everything he has coming.

Go get 'em!
A local music store bought a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty (Frampton) model for $400.00..

They thought they hit the jack pot, until I pointed out it was a counterfeit. Informed them that they could not legally sell it, and that they should contact the authorities to cover their backsides....
I'm sure they sold it on eBay. Their " guitar tech" argued with me about it being counterfeit.... I pointed out that Gibson Custom shop guitars don't use metric truss rods, nor do any of their USA guitars.

Paypal always sides with the buyer. You'll get your $ back. There's nothing even close to real about that guitar. Hard to say if the seller knew the guitar was fake or not without doing research on them.

I'm pretty sure the US signatures are *not* all inlays. Mine doesn't seem to be. That one looks way off though...I'm surprised too that no one caught it before it was sold.

Follow the PayPal policy to get your money back and report the seller to the FBI,

Agree with all of the comments here and sorry you had to go through this crap. Totally annoying.

This does lead to an interesting fork in the road, however. How much should one tell about the differences in the fakes to protect other buyers vs. the forgers making better knock off's? Example is a dead give away is angle of the "G" in the headstock logo. Real is straight, fake is at an angle. The most recent batch seems to have figured this one out making to harder and harder to tell for the typical buyer.

The screw holding the truss rod cover should be countersunk. It should set flush with the cover.

I agree with Michael_DK that the angle of the strings between nut and string posts is wrong. They should be much straighter. And the nut is not up to snuff, either.

Back