Could you help me choose attenuator for mt15?

I use my Two Notes Torpedo Reload on my 130 Watt Peavey. Works very well at any power I want to drive it (up to 150 W). I just turn the Two Notes way down and enjoy my amp.

I've been pleased with the Rivera Rockcrusher. I'm also a user of the Suhr reactive load, which I use to feed my my amp into my Helix for IRs which I can monitor via headphones or my JBL LSR monitors. The Suhr piece is killer.

I've been pleased with the Rivera Rockcrusher. I'm also a user of the Suhr reactive load, which I use to feed my my amp into my Helix for IRs which I can monitor via headphones or my JBL LSR monitors. The Suhr piece is killer.
+1 on the Rockcrusher

I have been using the MT15 without one and haven’t had much of a problem getting the volumes I want and I play it low most of the time.

I agree with Elvis.

There are as many alternatives that might work as there are people. I got one of the Cab Clones when it came out, and use it with IRs. It's gotten me through quite a few emergency late night sessions on ad projects.

However, the newer stuff is probably more advanced, like both the Suhr and the new Mesa models that are reactive loads; the Universal Audio OX is one of those "Creme de la creme" pieces of gear, if you can pay the freight to get one.

We have so many great choices as guitarists these days. It's hard to screw up.

I just use a passive volume pedal in the loop to reduce master volume.

DO you want tell us why you think that?

Because it is a fact. Oh yeah, any volume control is an attenuator, but used in this context a guitar attenuator is a device that is placed AFTER the power amp section of the amp. A volume control on the effects loop just cuts the level of the signal going to the PI or output state, depending on where the loop is in the circuit. That's two completely different things.

Because it is a fact. Oh yeah, any volume control is an attenuator, but used in this context a guitar attenuator is a device that is placed AFTER the power amp section of the amp. A volume control on the effects loop just cuts the level of the signal going to the PI or output state, depending on where the loop is in the circuit. That's two completely different things.

Thank you. I thought that too that using volume pedal in FX loop places it before the master section. Hence, cranking the master volume may still not saturated the power tubes.

Thank you. I thought that too that using volume pedal in FX loop places it before the master section. Hence, cranking the master volume may still not saturated the power tubes.
People who use this to tame an amp often say/think that they are getting "cranked amp tone" at lower volumes, and they are not. They're getting cranked pre-amp tones with less power going to the power stage... With most amps, it's a disadvantage tonally. You're putting an unbuffered pot in the loop and cutting volume to the PI and power stage and changing the impedance of the signal coming into the effects return. Most amps sound BETTER if you just turn the master down. If the amp doesn't have a master, then this can allow you to crank the pre-amp a bit more and control volume, but it's still sort of a "hack" way to do it, IMO. And it is a joke in most cases compared to an actual attenuator or load/reamp device.

I guess I'm so against this because it's one of those things people think does something that it just doesn't do. Like saying that putting lower gain pre-amp tubes in gives more clean headroom. ;)

But I'm just a dude on the internet. If you want the real answer, ask any amp designer. See what they say. :)

I just recently picked up my PRS MT15 head and 1x12 cab. With my previous amp, I was using a Waza TAE unit. It is a great unit but almost 20 lbs. Couple that with a 55lb head and 65lb cab and I was a bit tired of gigging with this setup. Hence why I went for the PRS amp. It has the features I wanted but in a nice smaller package with plenty of oomph still to play live. I sold all three items.

Currently using the Captor X with mine in the new 16ohm version and I have to say, it is a great match and works great. There are only 3 levels of attenuation on the unit but it is enough to work nicely. The volume on this amp is touchy and thus, I'll probably change up the volume pot to a different taper to help with that. Regardless, what am amazing sounding smaller package to use. Can't wait to start gigging again at some point.

I recently saw BOSS WAZA tube expander which is supposed to be the best attenuator out there. I guess i will give it a shot.

I recently saw BOSS WAZA tube expander which is supposed to be the best attenuator out there. I guess i will give it a shot.
I’ll be curious to hear your impressions of it. I’m no longer in the market for one, but at that price, it better have more than bells and whistles!

Back