Could you help me choose attenuator for mt15?

FlyingScissors

Hello. Since I was reading about mt15 for home usage, I've become just more unsure what should I buy. So, let's start from the beginning. I would like to buy an mt15 in the near future. I'll play on it in home. I've read about some attenuator, but here's the problem - as I've picked a couple of those, I've heard so many mixed opinions. Could you please help me choose? My budget is limited, it is about 80 euros. So here's the attenuators that I was considering:

-JHS little black box <- this is my main object of considering ^^
-Jet City Amplification Jettenuator
-Bugera PS1 Power Soak

I would like to not lose the tone (as long as it possible of course) Would you recommend me any of those? I would appreciate any help. The mt15 would be (probably) used with the Harley Benton G112 Vintage cab.

I have to use an attenuator with my Boogie amp, since I can’t get the master volume to a reasonable level. It’s a loud amp. But I was wondering the other day if a volume pedal in the effects loop would do the same thing. My amp is too big to get the power tubes to break up without blowing the windows out.

I have to use an attenuator with my Boogie amp, since I can’t get the master volume to a reasonable level. It’s a loud amp. But I was wondering the other day if a volume pedal in the effects loop would do the same thing. My amp is too big to get the power tubes to break up without blowing the windows out.
I've heard that the boss volume pedal do the job, but it was with different amp ^^ which attenuator have you used?

I loved my old Power Soak. Ran my 76 Marshall 50 watter wide open and dialed back with the Scholz Ppwer Soak into a silver anniversary slant Marshall 4x12. Killer tone and never any issues with the amp.

Also loved that you could choose the ohm rating and not have to buy a specific unit for each amp.

I hate to keep saying this, as some will disagree or say they work great... but any volume control in the effects loop is NOT the same thing as an attenuator.

True fact, but not I’m getting any drive out of my power tubes - it’s all preamp sound. I’m getting used to the swell at full drive (unlike putting the volume pedal in front of the preamp), so I am wondering if I need the volume pedal PLUS an attenuator. There’s only one way to find out....

I feel for OP because I went thru the same thought process on the MT15, not trying to talk you out of one, just sharing my 2 cents.

That MT15 kicks it out for a low watt amp, probably best for small jams or small venue rock gigs, but the master just doesn't do low volume well at all.

If you want a bedroom amp, find the best bedroom amp, not a loud amp that you have to buy other gear to make manageable. You can also take the cost of the MT15 & attenuator and estimate how much amp you could buy with that.

Just don't waste your time with volume pedals in your loop.

Having used a variety of attenuators, I'm generally not at all happy with the tone. If you have more than 3dB attenuation it gets very compressed and loses the edge.

I strongly recommend a load box and powered monitor. Particularly if you can get a loadbox that accepts speaker cabinet IRs. I get the best tone from this setup, and it allows for VERY easy low volume/silent recording as well.

You can also get a loadbox and add a speaker emulator box to it, or use a DAW plugin. Many ways to accomplish this. But all are much better than an attenuator IMHO.

I've used Torpedo Live mostly, but also have a CabClone. There are several in this market now, some are quite small and reasonably-priced. For a 15W amp, you don't need a huge loadbox.

I have also used a bunch of attenuators, and still use a couple. As Wedge said, one that is worth keeping costs as much as a decent amp. Cheap ones, or poorly executed expensive ones, will likely make you frustrated with the tone you are getting.

I also agree with Huggy, for the reasons above. Get a small amp, if you need low volume. There are a ton of options in the 1-5 watt range. You can use the same cab as you will be using with your MT15.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works well for you. Keep us in the loop!

Last edited:
I’ve tried a few attenuators and they all affect your sound. The solution that works best for me is the Boss 7 band graphic eq. Unlike some eq’s it has a separate level control; I use that to control my volume...and obviously it’s easy to adjust your tone. To me that was the biggest benefit, the attenuators I tried cut the volume and robbed a little tone. With the eq I have control of that.

Welcome to the forum.

JHS makes some nice pedals, so I’m sure they’ve done what can be done at this price point. Keep your expectations in line with your expenditure and I’m sure you’ll be happy.

As noted above, quality attenuation options can cost more than your amp. But, if your budget permits it, I believe it is a huge mistake to not consider purchasing one for that reason alone! Contrary to some opinions, the right solution can better your tone and add options you would never have otherwise. I use the Universal Audio Ox Box, and it actually improves the tone of several amps I use it with by allowing me to set them in ways I couldn’t even consider without it. And I can move it to any amp that needs it, or use it into a computer or headphones with no speaker cabinet at all. Because of its quality and options, I consider it an instrument of its own and a bargain at its price.

I’d offer two pieces of advice:

1. Treat everything in your signal chain with the same thought process. Don’t ignore any part, or treat it as less important. If something costs more and you need it, save rather than settle. Buy once, cry once.

2. Opinions, mine included, are well intended but just represent someone else’s experience, impression, or interpretation. Take them all with a colossal grain of salt. The only opinion that matters comes from the combination of your two ears, and your two hands. Keep the “druthers of others” in mind, but cut your own path by trying out your choice options personally when you can. And in this day of free shipping and free returns, you can most of the time!

Sorry for the length of reply, and again, welcome!

Last edited:
Maybe a little late to this party, but I just picked up the Weber Mini Mass attenuator. Lets me drive my amp but control the volume for bedroom playing. I don't notice any difference in tone. There is a treble boost switch on it but I leave it at 0. Another nice feature, I went with the headphone and line out add on which has a separate volume control. That way I can plug directly into my DAW.

Back