Could the SE line be better or offer more options?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
The SE line on its own is very good. Starting at 500 dollars for the base model and ranging up to 1549 with the HB 2 Piezo, there's a lot in the line. Baritones, 6 strings, 7 strings, hollow bodies, semi hollows, maple necks, exotic wood runs, signature models etc.... There are a few problems with them, mainly tuning stability being the biggest one. I don't really find anything else wrong with them. I got SE locking tuners with mine because dad got them for me. I feel like the nut could be changed personally to an American core nut.
Here are suggestions of mine that I think the SE line could offer:
  • More finish options. It would be great if they offered limited run colors, PS colors and different finishes like satin, which is such a good finish. Before I got my SE, I thought I would hate the gloss neck, but I had to get used to it and loved it.
  • An "Artist package" for the SE's. Even though the goal of the SE line is to be cost effective, they could implement a program into where they could offer things like an upgraded nut, tuners, American pickups, inlay materials, and wood materials. I really think that abalone on the SE's look very sleek. If they offered this, for a 200-400 dollar package where you could get upgraded pickups, different fretboard wood and other things would make the SE line so much more extensive.
  • SE versions of the Bolt on series. I would LOVE an SE with CE specs, bolt on neck, satin neck, maple neck but for the SE. A Silver Sky SE would be awesome as well.
These are all just my suggestions about what I think PRS could do but leave your thoughts about what PRS could add to the SE line!

SE's are already being produced with limited run offerings. Guitar Center was selling A55e's with a Matteo Blue back and sides. I've seen i don't know how many limited burled poplar or burled maple topped 22's and or 24's. There is an astounding array of color choices if you know where and how to look. I really dont think they need to add anything to the SE line, including an SE SilverSky. If they did that, it would be the same as a Fender Squier, and everyone who bought it would complain that the quality sucks. If PRS are to change anything on the SE line, it would be the Nut. I own only SE's, i am happy with what i have, and can get. I don't really see the need to complicate things.

Agree. Except of course, for the much needed Silver Sky SE! ;)

Isn't the SS already an SE Strat!?! LOL! I joke but really there are so many inexpensive strat style guitars out there I'm not sure we need another, but I can see PRS adding one or a bolt on to the SE line some day.

I was totally surprised and thrilled to learn there’s an SEHollowbody with flamed maple top and back, piezo pickup, flame maple binding, bone nut, and ebony fretboard. It seems like there are a lot of really nice SEs in the stores to play, so I think PRS is doing a pretty good job with the offerings.

Isn't the SS already an SE Strat!?! LOL! I joke but really there are so many inexpensive strat style guitars out there I'm not sure we need another, but I can see PRS adding one or a bolt on to the SE line some day.

You are right, we do not need another inexpensive strat. But the Silver Sky is not a strat. The 3x3 headstock makes it a very different guitar, in the most critical area of why I’ve never loved strats. Feel. 3x3 is for me!

You are right, we do not need another inexpensive strat. But the Silver Sky is not a strat. The 3x3 headstock makes it a very different guitar, in the most critical area of why I’ve never loved strats. Feel. 3x3 is for me!

The SS is pretty strat style even with the 3x3. Funny though one thing I like about strats and fender in general is the inline 6. I didn't at first but then I became to prefer it. What really through me for a loop was I've been playing so many 3x3 guitars lately that an acoustic I just picked up has a classical head 3x3 and the L/R both turn the same direction for flat and sharp.

The SS is pretty strat style even with the 3x3. Funny though one thing I like about strats and fender in general is the inline 6. I didn't at first but then I became to prefer it. What really through me for a loop was I've been playing so many 3x3 guitars lately that an acoustic I just picked up has a classical head 3x3 and the L/R both turn the same direction for flat and sharp.

Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVED the look of all 6 on one side strats. Come on... Jimi, Trower, Beck all play them. What could be cooler than that? NOTHING. Except, that 6 on one side equals much higher tension on the high strings that I like to bend. I tried and tried. Can't find one I love. 3x3 FEELS better, tension more equal across the fretboard. Even my 4x2 EBMM's feel better than 6 inline. As must as I love an all white, maple neck strat (again, Jimi at Woodstock and Trower live, what in the world could ever top that?) I like, but don't love the feel.

This is why, after years of trying to find the perfect strat, I'm so convinced that the Silver Sky just might be that for me.

Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVED the look of all 6 on one side strats. Come on... Jimi, Trower, Beck all play them. What could be cooler than that? NOTHING. Except, that 6 on one side equals much higher tension on the high strings that I like to bend. I tried and tried. Can't find one I love. 3x3 FEELS better, tension more equal across the fretboard. Even my 4x2 EBMM's feel better than 6 inline. As must as I love an all white, maple neck strat (again, Jimi at Woodstock and Trower live, what in the world could ever top that?) I like, but don't love the feel.

This is why, after years of trying to find the perfect strat, I'm so convinced that the Silver Sky just might be that for me.

Interesting but the importance of feel is paramount. That's what its about first and foremost for me. I can pick up a guitar right away and know if it even has a chance, the verdict is decided over time and lots of other factors but it all starts and hell can end with feel.

The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-on-a-PRS-Spitz-2-e1414179756170.jpg

Back