Could it be? PRS guitars prefer PRS pickups.

It was true. Not sure it they have migrated away from each other by now. Paul is forever tweaking things...

Thanks... probably no need for me to check that one out then. I like the extra ‘in your face-ness’ of the uncovered 85/15 in the bridge on my McCarty.

Thanks... probably no need for me to check that one out then. I like the extra ‘in your face-ness’ of the uncovered 85/15 in the bridge on my McCarty.

From what I've heard the 58/15's are pretty cool. They are supposed to have a bit more punch and bite than the LT versions. To me the 85/15's are great modern voiced pickups.

Everything I've seen from PRS and PRSh claims it's more than just the covers. Probably +/- a bit of magic dust or something.

Casi, I really like the choices you made on both your McCartys. I conjecture they sound great. I had great luck with BK Mule/Black Dog on my CU22. I liked the Dragon II's, but I thought I'd like the BK combo better, which I did, though the DII's to me had better split sound. With that said, that was the first and only PRS I've ever felt enticed to change pickups. I find PRS pickups to be amazing not only when I'm practicing by myself, but especially in a band context. I've always felt they cut through a band mix with a lot of ease, as they seem to emphasize all the right frequencies. My ear drums are a big fan of PRS pickups as I don't need to play my amp overly loud to be able to hear myself play with a bassist and drummer.

You know, I still haven’t gotten my hands on a 58/15. Does anybody know if its true that it’s a covered 85/15?

Shawn has confirmed there's more to it than just the covers, but he isn't allowed to elaborate.

I'd like to add my recent experience on PRS Pickups.

I baught the limited edition PRS SE CU24 with roasted maple neck/fretboard. It came with 85/15S hums loaded.

I found them too sharp in the highs and changed to the highly recommended US made 57/08.
I found the bridge side very nice but couldn't get into the pretty muddy neck side on my guitar.

So, I recently changed to a pair of Thornbuckers (TB neck and TB+ bridge). Now I have the sound that I was looking for. I also did the Thorn wiring with a 5-way Superswitch and do now have a machine that I absolutely enjoy playing in all positions!

Plus: the raw Nickel covers look amazing on the trampas green maple top!

Back