Cort-Tek made SE's

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by MayPRS, Apr 29, 2020.

1. MayPRS

MayPRS New Member

Hi all,

Thru the years I bought several SE's and they were all made at the Korean Factory (WMIC).

The fit & finish on these guitars are amazing, playability right out of the box. I'm looking to add a SE Custom 24 to the collection but found out that they are made at Cort-Tek (Indonesia or China).

Is the quality and specially fit&finish on par with WMIC? Between Indonesia and China factories do you notice any difference quality wise?

One of the reasons I keep buying PRS is because of QC consistency, all the SE's I bought played like a dream right out of the box and, buying online these days, I wanted to avoid the hassle of a return... :)

Many thanks for all your insights!

2. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I’ve played many SE’s from Cortek, and haven’t found a bad one.

3. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

With the latest SEs, Cor-Tek has a dedicated Indonesia facility for PRS only. Should result in good consistency, as they won’t be swapping back and forth between making Schecter, Chapman, LTD, whatever like WMI does.

4. MayPRS

MayPRS New Member

But isn't also a Cort-Tek in China where they make some SE models?

5. Turkeyhead

Turkeyhead New Member

I’ve played several of them at my local guitar store. They all have been really nice. They have all felt and looked great. I couldn’t find any negatives compared to the older ones. If I were buying an SE I would not hesitate to do it.

68reissue, shimmilou and Warmart like this.
  6. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

I believe only the SE acoustics are made in China, not positive but reasonably sure.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  7. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

That is also my understanding.

Warmart and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Warmart is correct. Currently, just the acoustics. Well, the MT-15 is made in China, too. Not sue if Cort-Tek does amps.

Warmart likes this.
  9. RallyFanatic

RallyFanatic Perpetual musical mid-life crisis

SE Hollowbodies are also made in China - the fit, finish and overall quality of mine is excellent.

Tim S, Ovibos, beas and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

The hollowbody electrics are made in China too...

Tim S, shimmilou and Warmart like this.
  11. xmichelo

xmichelo New Member

I recently bought a SE Custom 24 Ziricote, made in Indonesia by Cor-Tek. Build and sound quality are great. I actually prefer this guitar to my Korean-made Zach Myers SE.

Ovibos, beas, 68reissue and 3 others like this.
  12. tyfu20

tyfu20 Fast Man....let me tell you my story

My SE Paul's feels, looks, and sounds great even if I'm playing it.

13. ESPImperium

ESPImperium New Member

I remember playing a Cort Curbow 5 string bass away back in 2004 or something like that, it was a well made instrument, with great playability. Played a Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5 string in a A/B test that the guy i dealt with in that shop at the time got me to do, the Cort was honestly the better bass. Just got rid of a Ibanez 7 string that i believe is also made by Cor-Tek and it was a great instrument, it was a bit soulless for my liking.

Cort have made some stinkers over the years, however now, with some assistance, they seem to be making some great instruments, as the Korean made instruments of the 2005-2018 mark will be revered to the same level that the Japanese instruments of the late 80s to mid 2000s mark. Indonesian guitars, id guess, over the next decade and a half become the next most revered country of manufacture.

Ovibos and Warmart like this.
  14. beas

beas I Don't Re-Member

For the past 3 weeks, I have been playing a new SE Hollowbody II. It is hard to put down. The fit, finish, and playability have really exceeded my expectations. I have a P22 that I have long regarded as my favorite guitar in terms of playability and this model, made in China, rivals that guitar. I, too, own a Zach Myers SE. The SE Hollowbody II easily matches the QC of the ZM. And, the nut and tuners seem superior to me. I think PRS is doing a good job at training staff and monitoring the QC of their overseas lines.

15. pgj

pgj New Member

I have yet to find any flaws in my SE Standard 24. Amazed at the fit and finish of this guitar. Makes my Strat look like a toy.

16. kipkohl

kipkohl New Member

Have to agree, my two Cor-Tek SE's (one Indonesian, one Chinese) are fantastic guitars both in workmanship and playability. And when played by someone other than myself, they sound pretty darn good too.

dogrocketp and Warmart like this.
  17. Sonic Blue 55

Sonic Blue 55 New Member

My SE is 20 years old. Other than the pick ups which I replaced, I have nothing but praise.