Cort-Tek made SE's

MayPRS

Hi all,

Thru the years I bought several SE's and they were all made at the Korean Factory (WMIC).

The fit & finish on these guitars are amazing, playability right out of the box. I'm looking to add a SE Custom 24 to the collection but found out that they are made at Cort-Tek (Indonesia or China).

Is the quality and specially fit&finish on par with WMIC? Between Indonesia and China factories do you notice any difference quality wise?

One of the reasons I keep buying PRS is because of QC consistency, all the SE's I bought played like a dream right out of the box and, buying online these days, I wanted to avoid the hassle of a return... :)

Many thanks for all your insights!

With the latest SEs, Cor-Tek has a dedicated Indonesia facility for PRS only. Should result in good consistency, as they won’t be swapping back and forth between making Schecter, Chapman, LTD, whatever like WMI does.

But isn't also a Cort-Tek in China where they make some SE models?

But isn't also a Cort-Tek in China where they make some SE models?

I believe only the SE acoustics are made in China, not positive but reasonably sure.

Warmart is correct. Currently, just the acoustics. Well, the MT-15 is made in China, too. Not sue if Cort-Tek does amps.

I remember playing a Cort Curbow 5 string bass away back in 2004 or something like that, it was a well made instrument, with great playability. Played a Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5 string in a A/B test that the guy i dealt with in that shop at the time got me to do, the Cort was honestly the better bass. Just got rid of a Ibanez 7 string that i believe is also made by Cor-Tek and it was a great instrument, it was a bit soulless for my liking.

Cort have made some stinkers over the years, however now, with some assistance, they seem to be making some great instruments, as the Korean made instruments of the 2005-2018 mark will be revered to the same level that the Japanese instruments of the late 80s to mid 2000s mark. Indonesian guitars, id guess, over the next decade and a half become the next most revered country of manufacture.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been playing a new SE Hollowbody II. It is hard to put down. The fit, finish, and playability have really exceeded my expectations. I have a P22 that I have long regarded as my favorite guitar in terms of playability and this model, made in China, rivals that guitar. I, too, own a Zach Myers SE. The SE Hollowbody II easily matches the QC of the ZM. And, the nut and tuners seem superior to me. I think PRS is doing a good job at training staff and monitoring the QC of their overseas lines.

Have to agree, my two Cor-Tek SE's (one Indonesian, one Chinese) are fantastic guitars both in workmanship and playability. And when played by someone other than myself, they sound pretty darn good too.

Hey All SE fans out there, can anybody tell me what the numbers in the serial number relate to, we know the letter indicates the year of manufacture, I contacted PRS, they gave me a weak answer saying the numbers are an in house numerical system... I would be pretty sure that they mean something tho'.

Hey All SE fans out there, can anybody tell me what the numbers in the serial number relate to, we know the letter indicates the year of manufacture, I contacted PRS, they gave me a weak answer saying the numbers are an in house numerical system... I would be pretty sure that they mean something tho'.
https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408314427547-Year-Identification

Your serial number info is located here. The numbers are sequential IIRC. No hidden meaning as per Gibson's crazy scheme.

Back