Corroded saddle finish: is it fixable?

Rachmaninoff

Hi everyone,

These are pictures of the saddles of my 2004 CU24. The finish is going away, specially on the low-E saddle. Is it fixable in any way? Or I'd need to buy new saddles if I want to see 'em shiny again?

AKYTGXn.jpg

d31tOQL.jpg

Ziy2gVa.jpg

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

These are pictures of the saddles of my 2004 CU24. The finish is going away, specially on the low-E saddle. Is it fixable in any way? Or I'd need to buy new saddles if I want to see 'em shiny again?

AKYTGXn.jpg

d31tOQL.jpg

Ziy2gVa.jpg

Thanks.

The nickel is gone. That's earned though and adds character! If you want them shiny though you'll have to replace them.

It's a badge of honor, but if you want it to look new, buy new ones.

That wear is from the side of your strumming hand resting/rubbing against the saddle is it not?

If so...then I would totally leave it alone as it is by no means a flaw!

Like LJD say's "Looks like good honest wear", and shows that this guitar is being used for it's intended purpose not to be a "wall hanger"

I like the look :)

Edit: not meaning to say you SHOULD like it though haha, if it bothers you I'd just replace the saddles...

It's a badge of honor

This is my main guitar, she has been my companion for home practice, rehearsals, and numerous gigs in tough rock n' roll pubs packed with drunk guys. What you said reminded me of Steve Vai's "Evo" guitar. Indeed, it adds character to the guitar, they're meant to be played after all.

You'd pay extra for that on a Fender....

LOL :rofl:

it looks sweet, used but not abused. you don't sound like a "guitar aficionado" or collector. i saw one of Page's LP's model ( from 2005) going for $100,00...and it isn't even as worn as yours, so yours must be worth at least $105,000.:D

I used to work next to a re-plating company, and on lunch I would go over and see all the various thing they re-plated, They did anything baby boots to car parts.
You can re-plate but it would probably be more costly than buy new saddles.
The problem leaving it as is, is that it will continue to get more corroded over time.
Once it starts it seems to get worse faster and faster corrosion begets more corrosion.
If you do not mind cool. But if it looks like you need a tetanus shot if you scratch your self not so great.
I think a little wear in the finish is cool, but I like my hardware to look clean.

xref: the artificially-reliced guitars thread.

The plating wearing off is inevitable if you play the guitar. If it gets too worn or starts to affect the actual feel of the surface, you can buy replacements. But my 2002 CU24 has more wear than that, and feels/plays just fine...

Back