Core Vela or SC Vela?

Kurtis L

Avid Guitar Admirer
I've been admiring the Vela shape for a while now(only admiring because financial stuffs), and I think there should be a non-chamfered American made version with the 10 top and all of the higher end goodness. I also think there should be a single cut version, solely because of this luthier guitar that was passed down to me:
078-lec-cgxsc-SN78-04.jpg

While I know it isn't quite a PRS in looks, with it's top-mounted jack, flat top, no inlays, and the hipshot hardtail bridge, but this is just an example of what a SC Vela could look like.

If I were a PRS artist, this would definitely be my signature model btw.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. I think your guitar is too funky looking to be considered as a potential core Vela. Can you show us the rest of the guitar and maybe tell us a little more about it?

Man, from you guy's replies, I'm glad I can't see the pic on my ipad

The photo is not displayed now but you can see it here in this gallery. Bottom row, fourth on the right. Kurtis's father makes some great looking basses too.

You came to the right place but some of these guys are really, really old, you know. They own too many guitars and are set in their ways. Not young and hip like me. The design of your guitar is maybe a little too radical for them :cool:

I've been admiring the Vela shape for a while now(only admiring because financial stuffs), and I think there should be a non-chamfered American made version with the 10 top and all of the higher end goodness. I also think there should be a single cut version, solely because of this luthier guitar that was passed down to me:
078-lec-cgxsc-SN78-04.jpg

While I know it isn't quite a PRS in looks, with it's top-mounted jack, flat top, no inlays, and the hipshot hardtail bridge, but this is just an example of what a SC Vela could look like.

If I were a PRS artist, this would definitely be my signature model btw.

Other than the offset body shape I'm not sure how you get a Vela out of this...

OTOH...Those are some cool looking instruments in the gallery charliefrench posted!

WARNING: If you prefer primarily "traditional" style guitars, please leave the thread.

Hello and welcome. I think your guitar is too funky looking to be considered as a potential core Vela. Can you show us the rest of the guitar and maybe tell us a little more about it?
This is the CGXSC(custom guitar "xtreme" single cut), the only guitar that he has made, which was based on the bass of a similar name(CBXSC).
  • It has a pau ferro fingerboard
  • Three piece maple neck
  • Ash body with purple heart, maple, and wenge accent lines
  • Mahogany and ash accent stripes under a maple top
  • Hipshot open-gear tuners
  • Nordstrand humbuckers
  • Hipshot stainless steel bridge
  • Hipshot straplocks
  • Too many switches and knobs for some people to wrap their head around
156464_10151226240998788_1780224033_n.jpg
228340_10150182525118788_4212180_n.jpg
229090_10150182524383788_3803353_n.jpg
225824_10150182528123788_8160342_n.jpg
206918_10150161616128788_7742816_n.jpg

You came to the right place but some of these guys are really, really old, you know. They own too many guitars and are set in their ways. Not young and hip like me. The design of your guitar is maybe a little too radical for them :cool:
There's a difference between radical and ugly o_O

PS: Basically adverting a different company's guitar is a no-no here.

I think this is the kind of design that will leave nobody sitting on the fence as to whether they like it or not. Me, I find it very interesting, and yes I like it. It is modern yet it also has a sort of 60's era look to it. Loving the extra photographs. The neck join is amazing. At a glance it looks impractical with access to the upper frets being restricted but the more I study it I guess it works out okay and because of it I can imagine that the guitar sustains very well. It is well crafted with an amazing array of timber. The little pickguard looks really cute. Nice. No Vela though :)

Thank you!

There's a difference between radical and ugly o_O

PS: Basically adverting a different company's guitar is a no-no here.

For sure but can we all agree on what is radical and what is ugly? Probably not :)

PS: I don't think he was shilling another company although I can appreciate some may see it like this.

Charlie asked for more info, so I gave more info. If you think I'm trying to sell this guitar, realize it's the only one in existence.

Also, I know it's not a strat, LP, dgt, 402 or super eagle. It's look will make you like or dislike it, I already understand that.

But back to the original topic, there should be a core Vela, and perhaps even a single cut offset Paul Reed Smith guitar. I didn't say that it should look like the guitar I posted, I just thought of the idea from the guitar.

I think if there was to be a core Vela, to begin with I imagine there would be a change to the name. S2 would not be appropriate as it would likely feature upgraded timbers with flamed and quilty maple tops, etc. More pronounced carves rather than the current beveled tops. All American hardware. Bird inlays. Different color options. I don't know, I think some of might of us not like the large pickguard occupying so much real estate and covering up those lovely figured finishes. So what would the name change be? A Custom Vela? Vela means Candle in Spanish. How about a Core Candle? Light it up! :eek:

Back