Core Starla pickups question

rockinforJesus

So I was perusing Facebook Marketplace the other day and came across a set of SE Starla pickups for sale. They displayed a picture of the back of pickups. There were stickers on them that read as follows: PTP4152 SP-STAR-NC NIP N CW and PTP4153 SP-STAR-NC NIP B CW.
When I changed my pickguard on my 2014 S2 Starla, I looked at the back of my pickups. They are made by G&B.
The question is what markings are on Core Starla pickups. Wondering if the S2’s use the Core pickups.

Great pickups though, perhaps my favorite of the import PRS pickups. Really cool Filtertron type vibe, humbucking but not as thick as a PAF, almost single coil like. I love the one in my S2 Studio, put one in the neck of my S2 Custom 22 SH to clear up the tone and love it. Thinking hard about putting a set in my ZM.

Core Starla pickups follow the same naming syntax as the regular USA made pickups. I can say from first hand experience that the import ones are quite far away from the core Starla pickups. I had 2 sets, and sold one to a friend here. Saving the second set for when I finally get an S2 Thinline

Great pickups though, perhaps my favorite of the import PRS pickups. Really cool Filtertron type vibe, humbucking but not as thick as a PAF, almost single coil like. I love the one in my S2 Studio, put one in the neck of my S2 Custom 22 SH to clear up the tone and love it. Thinking hard about putting a set in my ZM.

The Starlas are definitely like a Filtertron and PAF had a love child. They are beautiful clean but take dirt really well.

This is how I would describe my Core Starla as a whole. It sounds great with clean tones and it just sounds like rock n roll with dirt.

Such a great guitar. I sadly don’t get along with singlecuts so I sold mine years ago. I found a couple of sets of core pickups and bought them. Sold a pair to a buddy of mine and still have the other set waiting.

I figure the S2 Thinline is the closest I’ll get to a Doublecut Starla without going PS. All mahogany & 24.5” scale.

my core Starla has become pretty much my main stage guitar. It’s more rock n roll than my Custom 24 and cuts better than my 594 McCarty. It just sounds so clean and snappy but still so badass and punchy. It sounds a bit like if Gibson made a Gretsch.

The core pickups do sound so good! Very balanced and clear and can go to hard rock territory surprisingly excellently. I too snagged an extra pair and put em on the parts shelf for a rainy day someday.

The core pickups do sound so good! Very balanced and clear and can go to hard rock territory surprisingly excellently. I too snagged an extra pair and put em on the parts shelf for a rainy day someday.
Where do you find those???

Where do you find those???
Looks like I found those on thegearpage emporium back in 2020. They are very hard to come by though. I just looked at sold listings on Reverb and the most recent pair of core pickups sold 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Looks like I found those on thegearpage emporium back in 2020. They are very hard to come by though. I just looked at sold listings on Reverb and the most recent pair of core pickups sold 3 years ago.
They are definitely a rare find. The model was not a huge seller and the only way to get the pickups was to buy the guitar, like the DGT pickups. You have to find someone that decided they didn't like the pickups and pulled them then decided to sell them. That is only a percentage of the people that bought the guitar.

They are definitely a rare find. The model was not a huge seller and the only way to get the pickups was to buy the guitar, like the DGT pickups. You have to find someone that decided they didn't like the pickups and pulled them then decided to sell them. That is only a percentage of the people that bought the guitar.
Could only be a small percentage.

Does anybody know an aftermarket dopplegänger for the Starla PU?

Supposedly TV Jones Classics get close. I was going to do those if I couldn’t find a set of Starlas.

I got a set of Starlas off Sweetwater used gear site. I typically check reverb and that for pickups that are tough to come by.

They pop up more than you'd think, or I did, but do take a bit more active searching and reaching out. It didn't take me too long to find my set, a few months or more. In that time, 2 sets were found plus an S2 set or two. Then right after a a third set of core popped up. All were scopped up by myself or another member. Not the easiest pickup to find but not as "rare" as sellers that love to overuse that word would want you to believe. They're out there! Good luck with your hunt..

Back