'Core' Production Acoustic

Absolutely stunning instrument LSChefman! The clip sounded great and the pictures were well taken too.

As for the S2 acoustic idea, that sure would be nice but I think if they go that route it'll be a few years after they get larger production numbers going in the the US. I have an ideological fondness of the PRS production ethos. I hope they can carve out a substantial marketshare in the acoustic world.

Thanks!

I agree. I'd love to see PRS get their acoustic guitar designs out to more folks. My PS acoustic is now two years old and sounds even more open than when new (at least to me) but of course that might just be the fact that I got used to playing it after a while. In any case, PRS deserves a lot of credit for moving forward with this.

Real nice clip. The older I get the chimier I like it and yet there is sufficient warmth and sustain too! The high E seems a little low but the other registers are great. Could be mic placement or EQ..... ?

I might have to rethink my Goodall's(3) and Rosewood Gibson approach because I am moving into recording realm. I have a clear mic (Neumann KM184) and a laptop with confounding software(Abelton).

BTW: The only maple guitar I have ever had was a 1992 Gibson J 200 and it had zero sound. It was so quiet for its huge visual statement. It underwhelmed the local players and luthier in town. Luckily I sold it for the $2,500 it cost me.

I have two mahogany guitars a 2007 Blueridge Adirondack dreadnaught and a 1959 Gibson slope shoulder. Both are nice but I am hearing a real fine tone from your clip. Maple with warmth... Hmmm...... Thanks for sharing.

Real nice clip. The older I get the chimier I like it and yet there is sufficient warmth and sustain too! The high E seems a little low but the other registers are great. Could be mic placement or EQ..... ?.

Could be placement, as I doubt I EQ'd the guitar. More likely just that I was noodling around and didn't get a good pick attack on the E. The guitar was so new that day that I was basically just stumbling around on it to show off the tone of the thing. The neck on mine is wider than I was used to and took me a couple of days to become comfortable -- I was flubbing quite a few notes!

I should probably record something new soon!

I've been fussing around with the Dutch Broadcasting "NOS" stereo technique, and I find it's a great way to record this particular instrument. If you have a pair of KM184s, you'll get an absolutely stellar recording using it. However, the recording I linked was mono, recorded with either a Neumann TLM103 or a TLM102, I am no longer sure which mic I used.

It's funny about those J200s you mention in your post. They either sound absolutely great, or absolutely dead, and there doesn't seem to be much middle ground, does there? I have a friend with a great sounding one, and his guitar made me interested in both the maple one I have, and an earlier maple jumbo Collings I had. The Collings was a beautiful sounding guitar, but as good as it was, the PRS has more power and sustain, and a little more detailed tone on the high end, a little less stiff.

As a side note, I use a Bluegrass set of strings with medium bottoms and light tops, maybe that imbalance is what you're hearing?

Thanks for the kind words, though!

Last edited:
I posted a thread about this same subject in the general section asking about my 2010 and 2009 Tonare Grands and what the difference between those and the new Private stock instruments. The quality on these older acoustics are so good that I can't see any room for improvement aside from maybe more inlays. The woods and tone and fit and finish are 2nd to none. I've owned a lot of 5 figure guitars from various acoustic builders and my PRS guitars hang with the best of the best in every way.

Interesting on the J200, there was one in a store here some 20 years ago that just blew my doors off. Sounded huge and powerful with a beautiful top end. At the time, I couldn't dream of spending that much. I've played one here and there since then and none have even made me think about buying one. The Tonare Grand maple intrigues me a good bit but I think in the end the Coco would probably suit me better. I'm fearing that by the time I get around to being able to swing one, the used "core" TG's with the carbon fiber rods will no longer be around for sale. They seem to be getting more scarce. I'm afraid that the new acoustic line that PRS has in the works will leave the bigger body, non cutaway out of the mix as the Angelus is the more popular guitar most people want.

Back