Core or CAD 'Son of Archon'???

prs19

I hope I get to play one of the Archons in the not too distant future!!!

I wanted to run something buy you guys and see what you think. There is no way I need 50 or 100 watts of power in my little guitar practice space. I was wondering if you guys think that PRS will ever do a lower watt version of the Archon or maybe even a lunchbox version??? Is that something that CAD could be used for?

A lower watt Archon combo would be awesome too I think. Any chance for this on the core line? If not, is this something that CAD could be used for?

I know I could always use a hotplate/attenuator on the Archon head to get some of this, but just doesn't seem ideal...

Thanks.

~Josh

Last edited:
my understanding is that CAD is no more. At least when I made an inquiry with Sweetwater, that's what I was told, at least for totally custom amps.

They did a run of the 2 channel amps in 20 watt combos a while back, I can't guarantee anything but I feel like if there's demand for it, they've done it before and could do it again.

I have a 20 watt Custom and it is like the perfect compromise. Sounds killer and won't peel paint but is plenty loud enough to hang. I can only assume through a 4-12 it would be even better. Yeah an Archon in this size would find a market I bet.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that you'd be better off with a lower power version of the Archon...even for low volume applications. I find that I prefer the 100W setting over 50W regardless of the output volume that I'm playing at. Not sure why that'd be the case, but I also find the same thing with some Mesa's. I guess a bunch of the character of the thing is defined by those 6 (yes 6!) pre-amp tubes and the thing just seems to retain low-end thump better on the 100W setting even at the lowest volume settings. That's my experience anyway...

It might be worth checking out how it does at bedroom volumes. I'll admit I haven't played mine much at that volume, but the little bit I did, it seemed to sound good. I'll try to do this some more when I get a chance, but it might be a few weeks. I'll admit, it might be cool to have a version of this amp with, say, 2 6v6 output tubes. No idea if the amp would retain it's character or not though. It would be important, I think, that it still have the same vibe as the 100w version.

Sounds great at bedroom volumes. Agree 100 watt setting sounds best.

steps-to-a-clean-electric-guitar.jpg

Last edited:
Odd indeed. It's probably spam, but it does remind me that although I love me a good SG, those light fingerboards that Gibson is using nowadays just look icky to me....

I have to respecfully disagree w/PH999.

It's clearly more

mira_green.jpg

Back