Would you like to see more Pattern Thin options among Core models?

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

pauloqs

PRS McCarty
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like among the Core models currently in regular production, only the Custom 24 and the Tremoti are available with pattern thin necks. What I've found was that
  • Custom 24 (including 24 Piezo & 24-08): Pattern Regular or Pattern Thin
  • Custom 24 Floyd: Pattern Thin
  • Custom 22 (including 22 Piezo): Pattern
  • McCarty: Pattern
  • McCarty 594 (including Hollow Body II): Pattern Vintage
  • Hollow Body II Piezo: Pattern
  • 408: Pattern
  • 509: Pattern Regular
  • Paul's Guitar: Pattern
  • DGT: DGT
  • Tremoti: Pattern Thin
  • Santana Retro: Santana Retro
In terms of depth at the nut, the profiles are ranked from fattest to thinnest:
  1. Pattern Vintage (28.5/32")
  2. Pattern & Santana Retro (28/32")
  3. Pattern Regular & Santana Retro (27/32")
  4. Pattern Thin (26/32")
I haven't played many guitars with the Pattern Regular profile, however, the difference between the Pattern and Pattern thin is noticeable to me. I got used to it, but I wish there was a stoptail version available with Pattern Thin necks. Prior to owning a PRS, I played mostly Gibson guitars and I gravitated more towards their 60's inspired necks, which to me feels closer to a PRS Pattern Thin. My McCarty is currently my No. 1 and I'm shopping for a second PRS, but it feels like I don't have many options among the core models with Pattern Thin necks. Someone pointed out to me that there used to be a Custom 22 stoptail version with Wide Thin necks, but I'm having a hard time finding them. Why do you think Pattern neck is so widely used among core models? Is it a tonal thing or do you believe is result demand vs supply? I'm considering buying a Custom 24, Custom 24-08 or a CE24 because of the pattern thin neck profile and they are generally light guitars (my McCarty is 7lbs 10.5 oz, but I'm hoping to go even lighter). However, I hardly ever use vibratos and I'm concern it'll just be more of a nuisance.

There are CU22 with thin necks ( I had one ) and 408s with thin necks.
I really like the bigger necks and wish I could find a WF or Pattern CU24.
Nice thing is PTC will shave a neck to the thin profile if you find a guitar you love.

There are CU22 with thin necks ( I had one ) and 408s with thin necks.
I really like the bigger necks and wish I could find a WF or Pattern CU24.
Nice thing is PTC will shave a neck to the thin profile if you find a guitar you love.

I was under the impression that those are not currently in regular production anymore. I’m just basing off the info I got from their website, but I’m not sure how uptodate that info is.

I didn’t know PTC did that. That’s good to know. I was actually wondering about that today. I don’t know if I’ll send them my McCarty, because I’d be afraid of not liking it as much after trying to fix what’s not broken. I trust that they’d do a good job, it’s me who I don’t trust, as I fear I might regret it.

Each to their own of course, but I like big necks.

Is there something in particular about big necks that you like? I have since adjusted to the neck on my McCarty and that guitar is my current favorite despite its chunkier neck. A part of me still wonders if I’d like the guitar even more if it had a thinner neck profile.

“Doctor Schefman, you’re a Neckadontist, aren’t you?”

“Why yes, I’m board-certified in Neckadontistry and Pickology, but my practice is mostly General Bullsh!ttery. Why do you ask?”

“I’m trying to decide on a neck shape. It’s kind of difficult.”

“I understand, there’s that muscle memory thing, right? But in Neckadontistry, the latest research indicates that a prescription for a fatter neck is actually healthier for tone. There was just a study published in the New England Journal of Freticine that confirmed it. It’d be malpractice for me to prescribe anything thin. Any other complaints? Feeling OK?”

“Thanks doc, I’m feeling better now.”

“Good. Be sure to get the Brazilian fretboard; the generic hasn’t been approved by the FDA - you know, the Fretboard Doctors Administration. You can take care of your co-pay on the way out.”

I haven't played many guitars with the Pattern Regular profile, however, the difference between the Pattern and Pattern thin is noticeable to me.

Me also! My CU24 is pattern reg, and I love the carve. For me it's exceptionally comfy, along with pattern vintage (which I slightly prefer). In the 80s and 90s I thrived on skinny necks, but my hands have changed since then, and I'm arthritic. Pattern thin makes my fretting hand cramp up in under a couple of minutes these days, but that's just the nature of my digits. Give me baseball bats and I'm fine all day.

I’m just basing off the info I got from their website, but I’m not sure how uptodate that info is.

There are almost always exceptions to what's on the price list. Artist Package options sometime open up features we don't ordinarily see at that price point, like sprayer's choice finishes or one-piece tops -- items which you cannot always specify with a special order, but do happen from time to time. One-offs happen, too.

When in doubt, for the rest of the Core models, contact an authorized dealer to see what's possible -- either in terms of special orders, or tracking down existing stock in the wild. They're good at that stuff!

I voted "indifferent" as I am a wide fat guy. (perhaps a pun was intended)

but I think the more options a company has the better. Not everyone likes the same thing. And to have options for everyone seems like the best idea to me.

I'm really digging my pattern vintage 594. it just feels... right. Don't get me wrong, I love thin necks but that 594 feels like an old friend.

I totally agree!!!

As far as the other neck carves, I do have the Pattern Regular and Thin and both are just fine for me - different but not different enough to be an issue.

Sorry for the late reply but I think it has to do with what I play and hand size. I have guitars with thin necks and the big ones feel better. My hands are on the larger side and I play rhythm and riffs mostly. No fast or crazy leads. I use 11 strings at standard tuning. I tend to grab hard. I bend certain brands of strings out of tune even with 11s. I think the bigger neck lends itself to that type of playing. I like the solid and substantial feel.

I’ve played several PRS neck profiles. I have found that the Pattern Regular is the best neck profile I have ever played. I do have a weird hand, with long fingers but a regular sized palm. The pattern thin felt pretty good too but it didn’t feel that special and it wasn’t that comfortable. To each their own though. If you like thin necks then the pattern thin may be for you, but try the pattern regular, it may help playing comfort. (The Pattern Regular is also great for heavier genres). You don’t need a thin neck to play fast of for leads.

Back