Core model tuner woes.

geezberry

I have a 2000's CE24 as well as a late 90's CU22. Phase I and Phase II tuners. I have the same issue on both guitars. There is play in the tuner when i turn it back and forth and tuning stability isnt great. I have already tightened the buttons on both but the play is there. Is this normal? Are these tuners worn out and need replacement? What is the best tuner i can put on these guitars that don't have play? I have some strats with Hipshot tuners and no play in those.

Geez,
Although I don't have a direct answer for you, the best solution is to call PRS Customer Service and ask what you could replace the tuners with. Their phone number during normal business hours is: ‭1 (410) 643-9970‬. You could also email them via their contact page on prsguitars.com, but I've found that speaking to their customer service rep directly provides best results.

Just to reassure you, Geez, PRS Customer Phone Service is pretty good at answering service-related questions. Although my original contact was with their email service tech, I found that the phone call provided a more direct solution than email support was not originally clear about.

i have all the screws on the tuners tight (top bolts as well as button screws) i think the internal gears just have play. This happens with certain brand tuners over time. was hoping this wasnt the case with these guitars

I have not found play in the tuners on any of the PRS I have ever owned or played so your issue is unusual IMHO.
That said I would contact PRS ( PTC ) and or John Mann @ john mann guitar vault one or both will get you sorted.

Had the same issue with my winged tuners on an old CE24. Replaced them with Schallers. Could not be happier. More responsive and accurate due to a better gear ratio.

Normal. It’s called backlash.
That’s why you should always tune up when tuning.

Bob
Which answers the questions in the op. It's totally normal and they probably don't need to be replaced but really need to see it in person to know for sure.

Though I will say that the gear ratio in the phase 1 winged tuners could be better. That said, I like the wings more than any other version. The weight makes the guitars sound better.

The play isn’t necessarily the problem, the nut may be. Especially on an older guitar. That’s why the PTC always replaces the nut when they do a set up. I’d suggest having the best luthier you know look at the nut. It’s fixed the tuning problems on a couple of 20th century PRS I bought used.

Normal. It’s called backlash.
That’s why you should always tune up when tuning.

Bob
Normal for tuners in general or normal for PRS tuners?

I'm late to the party here. I just bought a 95 CU24 and I was googling around to find out if anybody had successfully dealt with the slop in these phase I tuners.

I've played lots of guitars, cheap and expensive, but I don't remember feeling noticeable slop like these have.

This is my first PRS so if PRS owners are calling this slop normal, maybe it is for PRSs, but I find that and the course gear ratio disappointing.

Backlash is normal in all tuners but the gear ratio of the phase 1 tuners makes it more noticeable unfortunately. As long as you tune up to pitch rather than down it's not a problem ime. Ymmv.

Also, tightening the tuner button screw to a certain amount helps.

Normal for tuners in general or normal for PRS tuners?

I'm late to the party here. I just bought a 95 CU24 and I was googling around to find out if anybody had successfully dealt with the slop in these phase I tuners.

I've played lots of guitars, cheap and expensive, but I don't remember feeling noticeable slop like these have.

This is my first PRS so if PRS owners are calling this slop normal, maybe it is for PRSs, but I find that and the course gear ratio disappointing.
I have zero issues with those tuners.
Keeping tension on the string while tuning up during a string change is the trick.

Last edited:
Who tunes their guitar anymore? ;)

With all the auto tune I thought it was no longer necessary. :)

Kidding....but on a serious note, I never have had tuning issues on any of my guitars. As said prior, a properly cut nut is crucial and PRS is great at that out of the box. If you tune UP to pitch rather than down you alleviate issues. Lastly, if you wrap your strings properly around the tuning pegs (again, PRS thought of this and addressed it) you will have less issues.

Which answers the questions in the op. It's totally normal and they probably don't need to be replaced but really need to see it in person to know for sure.

Though I will say that the gear ratio in the phase 1 winged tuners could be better. That said, I like the wings more than any other version. The weight makes the guitars sound better.
I agree. my 93 Custom 22 has them and that guitar has a rock solid tone anywhere on the neck. The mass of the tuners is part of that tone….

I have zero issues with those tuners.
Keeping tension on the string while tuning up during a string change is the trick.
I push up on the wing as well after the tuner grabs the string and that really locks it. It’s a great system when you get the hang of it. The tuning ratio isnt so good though….

Back