Core Model - Finish

Why do core models get a opaque finish (most of the time) rather than a transparent one?

It takes time and effort to make the opaque finish and it does not look as nice as the natural wood itself.

Any ideas?

PS: Anyone know where I can get a SC250 (old version with Wide Fat neck) in blue matteo or charcoal?

What do you mean opaque? The finish where you can see the flame/quilt is a stain, not a paint. Opaque would be the solid white or black or gold-top. And in theory it is a lot easy to "paint" an opaque finish than the multiple steps for a stain finish.

Are you asking about a strong color vs unstained natural wood, with just a plain finish?

And then you ask about blue matteo or charcoal, which are stains, not opaque, not natural?

I am very confused about your question!

Opaques are definitely not "most of the time" finishes - I'd argue they are comparatively rare. They can use a lower grade of maple (visually speaking) on them too - there are often knots or no figure at all on large patches.

I have seen recent examples where they actually cost less as well - I don't know if that's going to be a trend going forward but a dealer here got some opaque black and white 2016 Custom 24s that were £200 cheaper than the stained versions.

Also not all that common to be fair. Of a dozen or so PRS guitars I've ever owned, only one has been fully opaque.

Sorry, I meant opaque on the back of guitars, the back of the body and neck.

Not all the mahogany PRS gets is going to be furniture grade. Some my have unpleasant marks, streaking, or staining. It is a tree after all and mother nature isn't perfect.

Same with the occasional one off opaque top. Probably same thing. Not visual quality and why waste a nice peace of maple that will sound the same when there is a demand for solid color guitars.

Sorry, I meant opaque on the back of guitars, the back of the body and neck.
Oh OK. After a while I did wonder whether you meant the back.

Two of my Core PRSi have opaque black backs, and two of my SE PRSi have opaque back backs. The rest, four cores and three SEs, have natural backs, some stained some very natural (the MM baritone might be solid red, I honestly can't remember, not at home right now - EDIT: it is translucent red, with nice grain underneath, but not a one piece of course). Not counting the SE Angelus acoustic in these, of course.

So for me the majority is natural finish backs, not opaque.

Last edited:
I would love to see more natural backs, but one thing I've noticed while drooling over 594s is that the coloring of the neck doesn't always match the body, and, while subjective, some of the bodies had some ugly grain.

I'm sure it's much easier to just put together whichever pieces come up and paint them black or with a tinted base coat.

Would it not be easier to just spray a coat of transparent lacquer rather than paint the back and neck opaque?

I'm all about the few opaque white backs out there. Killer look, wish they did 'em more often.

Would it not be easier to just spray a coat of transparent lacquer rather than paint the back and neck opaque?
Maybe, but as others pointed out, the wood has to look good - some pieces of wood just aren't pretty, but are still good body wood, so an opaque finish is the best solution.

Back