Core JM pickups for an SE?

Alessandro

So I’ve got a core SS that I swapped out the bridge pickup on for an HSS setup. I feel like this fantastic pickup is going to waste and would LOVE a 2nd prs with this pickup combo.

My question here would be is it possible to find another single JM pickup someone might be selling out there after swapping for a humbucker and then using it for my SE SS with the pickup I’m not using on my core? IIRC the core pickups are identical in output, but are they wound differently?

So I’ve got a core SS that I swapped out the bridge pickup on for an HSS setup. I feel like this fantastic pickup is going to waste and would LOVE a 2nd prs with this pickup combo.

My question here would be is it possible to find another single JM pickup someone might be selling out there after swapping for a humbucker and then using it for my SE SS with the pickup I’m not using on my core? IIRC the core pickups are identical in output, but are they wound differently?

Everything I've read and seen indicates that all three are identical in output but that the middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity so you have humcancelling when it's combined with the neck or bridge pickup.

In other words, the neck and bridge pickups are identical.

The middle pickup is identical to the neck and bridge pickups, except for it being RW/RP.

Are you saying you want to put two SS bridge pickups in a guitar and use them as the neck and middle pickups? Yes. You can do that. You will not have humcancelling when you combine them tho.

The pole pieces are the magnets so no way to flip those. Why would you need to? If you reversed the wires of the middle pickup you'd get a real thin "out of phase" sound when you combined it with either the neck or the bridge pickup. I guess I don't understand what you're wanting to do.
Basically wondering if I find another single JM bridge pickup out there to combine it with the one I removed from my core and put them both in an HSS SE SS if it would be able to get the same sounds in position 2 and 4.

Basically wondering if I find another single JM bridge pickup out there to combine it with the one I removed from my core and put them both in an HSS SE SS if it would be able to get the same sounds in position 2 and 4.

I believe so. But you would not have hum cancelling when the two single coils were combined like you do now.

Do you notice how when you select the neck or middle pickup by itself you get some hum?

But when you combine the neck and middle pickups on your SS that you do not hear any hum?

If you do what you're proposing, using two bridge pickups as your neck and middle pickups, you'll get hum when the two pickups are combined, whereas now YOU DON'T.

I believe so. But you would not have hum cancelling when the two single coils were combined like you do now. Do you notice how when you combine the neck and middle pickups on your SS that you do not hear any hum but when either is used by itself you DO get some hum? That would no longer be the case.
Ok awesome I rarely use the kinda of gain necessary to get any hum on these positions though so I wouldn’t be too worried about that. I usually keep the single coil sounds cleaner or with light overdrive and then hit higher gain on the humbucker in the bridge.

Cool.

I have two SE Silver Sky guitars.

Both are stock.

I love the PRS pickups in them, but I also love the Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups I have in my Strat.

So I just bought a set of the same Antiquitys and I'm going to put them in my white SE Silver Sky.

I couldn't decide if I wanted a RW/RP middle pickup or if I wanted all three to be identical the way they would be in an early 60's Strat.

I decided to go with the RW/RP middle because it's nice on a noisy stage to have humcancelling in the #2 and 4 positions of the 5 position switch.

But all three pickups will be the same output. Just as they are in an early 60's Strat and as they are in the Silver Sky.

I don't want a hot bridge pickup.

I’ve heard good things about the antiquities. Maybe I should give those a go.

I’ve heard good things about the antiquities. Maybe I should give those a go.
I like the Antiquity II Surfer. Don't like the Antiquity I Texas Hot nearly as much.

What kind of guitar are you thinking of putting them in?

I've heard that you can put a standard size Strat pickup in an SE Silver Sky but not in a Core model USA made Silver Sky.

Don't know if that's true or not.

Back