Core Custom 24 vs CE

Mattldm

Is this thing on?
I was just wondering if anyone has both or played both back to back. How much difference is there really? Aside from neck material tuners and bridge they are mostly the same.

I have a 2019 CE that I love but I’ve been looking at custom 24’s lately and wonder if it’s an upgrade or a side grade between the two.

They are quite different beasts, really. It all depends on what you want/like.

A good bit is cosmetic. On the CE there's no 10-top or mixed hardware; the birds are plain. For zero logical reason, the scarf joint bugs me if it isn't super well matched.

A lot is functional/tonal. CE should generally be the brighter guitar due to the bolt-on maple neck and steel bridge. The finish on the necks will feel different. The carved top on the CE is shallower; this is to save on production cost, but I actually find it a lot more comfortable and sleek than the deep carve of the Custom. The switching is different; I personally would take the CE controls any day, but others like the blade switch.

For me, if I liked skinny necks, I personally would pick the CE (and maaaybe upgrade to a Mann trem) because I don't care about the blingy stuff and I find the mapley sveltness appealing.

If the Custom is going to give you something you like better than the CE, then yeah it's an upgrade. Otherwise, meh, you're cool where you are. Different beasts.

I just sold my McCarty Core model for a CE24. I’m finding I like the snappiness of a bolt on neck more and more as I get older.

the thinner top and thus thinner over all guitar body I like a lot too.

I just sold my McCarty Core model for a CE24. I’m finding I like the snappiness of a bolt on neck more and more as I get older.

the thinner top and thus thinner over all guitar body I like a lot too.

funny. I got a CE first and have barely touched it after getting a 594. And I love the CE (with trem upgraded).

Newer CEs are quite a bit different from Customs. If you go back to the older CEs they are much closer. Same body carve but with a bolt on neck. I had both at one point and loved aspects of both. I traded away the CE last year but I’d take it back in a heartbeat.

rxk1ed3.jpg

Back