Core CE24 vs newer CE24... what say you?

I've never played the original CEs, but I have a newer CE24 and 2 Custom 24s. I am actually planning to sell my CE24 soon to fund another PRS, but its not because it sucks or anything. Its as close to a USA Custom 24 as you'll get. The newer CE24s are basically a Custom 24, except for the bridge. I think the tuners are different, but they're locking and I can't tell much of a difference between it and the Custom 24s. I actually like the bolt on neck radius and feel of the fretboard on the CE24, but I think you can tell and feel the difference between the USA made bridges of the Custom 24 and the CE24. Its nothing huge, but if you've been playing a while, you can probably tell.

IMO, it really comes down to budget, what neck profile you like, and what switching configuration to you like. If the Custom 24s came with a 3 way toggle and you prefer that, it would be a no context (Custom 24). But since most don't, and if you prefer a 3 way toggle, you may want to grab a CE24. Also, if you like the neck having that slightly unfinished wood feel or can find a satin neck CE24, you may also want to go with a CE24. And like someone else said, you can always swap the import trem out for the John Mann trem.

Personally, I much prefer the look of the newer CE24s with birds and toggle switch. I don't think the rotary knob of the older CE24s is practical. Also, the 85/15 pickups in the newer CE24s are my favorite pickup and the only other guitar you can find them in is in the Custom 24.

Back