Core 594 DC: Solid vs. Semi-Hollow

Chip Burns

Beginning an investigation of core 594s.

Looking for input on the solid body vs. the semi-hollow. I'm assuming the semi-hollow has more mid-range and possibly more sustain but is perhaps also more feedback prone.

Anybody have comments on one or both? Please don't limit yourself to the characteristics I've mentioned.

I've had both. Not a ton of difference between the two. It's noticeable, but not drastic. No issues with feedback on the semi, at all.

A bit more "open" sound. Airy, I guess. Much closer to a solid body than a full hollowbody.
I've never quite understood what the frequently used terms "open" and "airy" mean.

I'm a big fan of Gary Moore's ("Still Got the Blues"):
and Santana's ("Smooth"):

I call that tone 'high gain without the fuzz/buzz'.

Since you've owned/played both, which would you recommend to get in that direction?

I've never quite understood what the frequently used terms "open" and "airy" mean.

I'm a big fan of Gary Moore's ("Still Got the Blues"):
and Santana's ("Smooth"):

I call that tone 'high gain without the fuzz/buzz'.

Since you've owned/played both, which would you recommend to get in that direction?
Seriously, either one would get you there. I play mostly classic rock and metal. Rush, Priest, Maiden, et. al. Both models got me where I want to go. Personally, I thought the SH was more noticeable when I played clean. That would be about 2% of the time. So, for me, there wasn't much difference. Also, I am really bad at describing things like this. Here are a couple of vids that may help out.

Having said all of that, the correct answer is always a Santana!!!!!!!! :D

Seriously, either one would get you there. I play mostly classic rock and metal. Rush, Priest, Maiden, et. al. Both models got me where I want to go. Personally, I thought the SH was more noticeable when I played clean. That would be about 2% of the time. So, for me, there wasn't much difference. Also, I am really bad at describing things like this. Here are a couple of vids that may help out.

Having said all of that, the correct answer is always a Santana!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks, that was helpful, especially the vid from Moore Guitars.

In that video I preferred the semi-hollow for both clarity & punch. Don't know if that was particular to those two guitars, did your experience match the Moore demo?

Also, I don't know why Paul put the controls so far away on the Santana, makes volume swells pretty tricky so it's never been on my list.

Thanks, that was helpful, especially the vid from Moore Guitars.

In that video I preferred the semi-hollow for both clarity & punch. Don't know if that was particular to those two guitars, did your experience match the Moore demo?

Also, I don't know why Paul put the controls so far away on the Santana, makes volume swells pretty tricky so it's never been on my list.
Yeah, I would say the Moore video is indicative of my experience.

As for the Santana, volume swells are tough. But, that’s where Carlos wanted them.

Back