Core 35th Anniversary - PRS pickup swap options?

Nodnarb1977

I have a Core 35th Anniversary and am considering other pickup options. If I were to select PRS pickups, what ones are compatible with the 24/08 style wiring?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

I swapped pickups in my Core 35th Anniversary for a week. Couldn't swap it back again faster enough. HB tones ware fine but I lost all the split charm. PRS pickups are multitap in this guitar and you won't get same split quality with OEM pickups - however cool they are, a swap is a downgrade

I have a Core 35th Anniversary and am considering other pickup options. If I were to select PRS pickups, what ones are compatible with the 24/08 style wiring?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
I just reviewed all the pickups offered on the PRS accessories site, they are all compatible with the wiring scheme as they can all accommodate the 5 way, which means they have coil taps. The 408 switches are for tapping coils individually.

Thanks for the info!

I’m trying to “make nice” with these 85/15s. They are growing on me, but I don’t love them wholeheartedly yet. I think they sound delightfully clear, but border on sterile.

Good to know I potentially could change it up, but sounds like it might be a downgrade. I’m not sure I understand what “multi-tap” means, though. I thought tapping a pickup was a binary function (either it is at the moment or isn’t depending on where the switch is).

I just reviewed all the pickups offered on the PRS accessories site, they are all compatible with the wiring scheme as they can all accommodate the 5 way, which means they have coil taps. The 408 switches are for tapping coils individually.

In what way did you review them? I have some PRS pickups from accessory shop and can quarrantee they won't fit 35th anniversary wiring scheme.

Individual coil taps are made on 3PDT. PRS went really creative with it. 35th anniversary uses different switching method than 408

Thanks for the info!

I’m trying to “make nice” with these 85/15s. They are growing on me, but I don’t love them wholeheartedly yet. I think they sound delightfully clear, but border on sterile.

Good to know I potentially could change it up, but sounds like it might be a downgrade. I’m not sure I understand what “multi-tap” means, though. I thought tapping a pickup was a binary function (either it is at the moment or isn’t depending on where the switch is).
I'm with you... I haven't been able to "love" the 85/15 pickups. Granted, I do think they're really good--and especially clear in a good way, particularly on the neck pickup--but I've replaced them twice now with 59/09 pickups purchased from the PRS accessory store. I think the 59/09 pickups retain the slightly-hot nature but they bring back some vintage/classic tonal profile to the guitar. Plus they retain the same uncovered-black-bobbins (squabbins) look. They're a 1-to-1 swap, even the wire colors are consistent.

In what way did you review them? I have some PRS pickups from accessory shop and can quarrantee they won't fit 35th anniversary wiring scheme.

Individual coil taps are made on 3PDT. PRS went really creative with it. 35th anniversary uses different switching method than 408
Oh, I meant I just looked at them on the site.

A coil tap is a coil tap. I suppose you might need 4 leads for some functionality, but thought the 408 was just tapping, which only requires 3.

I'm with you... I haven't been able to "love" the 85/15 pickups. Granted, I do think they're really good--and especially clear in a good way, particularly on the neck pickup--but I've replaced them twice now with 59/09 pickups purchased from the PRS accessory store. I think the 59/09 pickups retain the slightly-hot nature but they bring back some vintage/classic tonal profile to the guitar. Plus they retain the same uncovered-black-bobbins (squabbins) look. They're a 1-to-1 swap, even the wire colors are consistent.

Yes… the 59/09s are tempting. My wheels are turning, for sure.

Oh, I meant I just looked at them on the site.

A coil tap is a coil tap. I suppose you might need 4 leads for some functionality, but thought the 408 was just tapping, which only requires 3.

Like I said mate, the wiring diagram for 408 is different to what I have in my 35th anniversary. Coil tapping is made with 3PDT (DPDT/2PDT in 408) and I have additional cap on the switch which is working sort of like a small value tone pot / high pass filter in tapped mode. 35th anniversary is a truly special and unique guitar

There aren’t any PRS pickups with multitap sold separately, but any pickups with 3 or 4 conductor wiring are compatible with the toggle switches to achieve a coil split.
This is good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back