Copyright (circle R) symbol on headstock considered tacky?

qprs

Does the registered copyright symbol on the headstock bother anyone other me?

It seems a bit cheap/tacky and out of character with the PRS brand. Perhaps I'm shallow, but it makes me think twice about a pulling the trigger.

FYI, this symbol is not required to be displayed on every use of the brand ... many (most?) PRS headstocks do not have this.

Many of the photos of the headstock (perhaps coincidentally) minimize this symbol by tilting the camera or angling the logo behind the tuning pin.

z7qku9kalpuxrvq97f8f.jpg

Yeah. I know it's ultimately about the playability. Still seems like a miss and small objection to overcome.

It does feel like this is driven by suits and bean counters.

Bean counters and legalistics (real word?) are a fact of life.

Is the little R protecting the signature or the headstock shape?

Just wondering and figured a forum full of PRS owning Lawyers
would be a good place to ask.

:p
All of mine have it...never bothered me.

From the website

“Paul Reed Smith,” “PRS,” “McCarty” the PRS logo, the PRS Paul Reed Smith logo, the Paul Reed Smith signature, the bird inlays, the headstock bird, the PRS headstock shape, the Santana headstock shape, the PRS body shape, the PRS “scoop” design, “Singlecut”, “Mira” and the “SE” are all registered trademarks of Paul Reed Smith Guitars “Custom 24,” “Modern Eagle,” “SE Custom,” “SC 245,” “SC 250,” “Starla”, “Tonare”, “Sewell”, “ Blue Sierra”, and “Angelus” are all trademarks of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. The Birds, New Birds, are copyrighted by PRS Guitars.

Technically there are differences between trademark and copyright but I believe the encircled R is basically makes it a Registered Trademark or Copyright.

Not a lawyer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :p

Technically there are differences between trademark and copyright but I believe the encircled R is basically makes it a Registered Trademark or Copyright.

Not a lawyer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :p

Somebody beat me to it. The trademark is the circle around the R which is usually for logos and names.

The copyright logo is the circle around a C and is for bodies of works, original compositions, compilations, etc.

I'm also not a lawyer but did have to take copyright law in music school.

Back