Consummation of a Plan

so...in keeping with my madness, I'm un-consummating my plan.

I finally figured out that I'm probably just an HXDA kinda guy. That amp works for me so well.

so...in keeping with my madness, I'm un-consummating my plan.

I finally figured out that I'm probably just an HXDA kinda guy. That amp works for me so well.

It is a great feeling to have and know what works for you.

Yeah, it does. But I deleted my for sale ads, too.

Even though the DG30 is meant for a different player, it's still got a beautiful tone, and sounds good with my 408, especially with the coils split, for when I need tones that are different from my usual fare.

On balance, I think it's smarter to hang onto it, and use it for the things I don't use the HXDA for. I'd just blow the dough on studio gear anyway. And months from now someone would talk about their new DG amp, and I'd post something lame like, "I wish I still had mine."

So now, I'll still have mine and won't have to feel all lame and foolish. ;)

Guess I can stop collecting pop bottles now - only had 5,584 more to go!

(For you young folks, pop used to come in glass bottles. You paid a deposit on each bottle, and you got your nickel back when you turned the bottle in.

Next time, I'll explain that screechy/scratchy sound in Cheech and Chong's "Earache My Eye"...

Oh - Cheech and Chong? The 1970s Mexican Seth Rogan and James Franco.)

Guess I can stop collecting pop bottles now - only had 5,584 more to go!

You can find that many in any abandoned lot in Detroit, and the deposit is 10 cents here, even for the plastic ones.

You'd only need half that number.

And don't make me go all long division* on ya. Get out a calculator and have at it!

*"Long division" was used to divide a number by another number before they invented calculators when no one had a slide rule handy. It involved pencil, paper, estimation, memorized multiplication tables, subtraction, and other stuff no one remembers any more than cursive handwriting.

Actually, I threw that slide rule thing in there just for grins. Though I had a slide rule in 9th grade, either I never learned what it did, or I forgot that I learned what it did. I know it had something to do with math.

Last edited:
Well, I had a much better 'Tone Day' today.

I zeroed out the DG30, and started over with all the settings from scratch. I will admit that I didn't do a very good job setting it up with the new cab before. It's much better now. I also moved the cab to a better spot in the room (it's got rear ports so sound comes out the back, too, and it is more sensitive to room placement than my Mesa 212, which is closed-back).

Glad I didn't sell it. Bullet dodged!

Well, I had a much better 'Tone Day' today.

I zeroed out the DG30, and started over with all the settings from scratch. I will admit that I didn't do a very good job setting it up with the new cab before. It's much better now. I also moved the cab to a better spot in the room (it's got rear ports so sound comes out the back, too, and it is more sensitive to room placement than my Mesa 212, which is closed-back).

Glad I didn't sell it. Bullet dodged!

I think keeping it is a good idea.

Smart move!

I think keeping it is a good idea.

Thanks guys, you're right.

A big part of my problem was that I set the DG up with the Artist V and the 408, very different guitars from the Hammer of the Gods.

And while I could plug the HOTG into the HXDA and get immediate gratification, as that's just such an obvious match, the DG30 is a very different style of amp. I got a little frustrated, but starting the setup over did the trick.

Also, the DG30 needs different pedals with the HOTG than what I was using with the other guitars. It's just more demanding that way, so I'm going to have to think about redoing the pedalboard to include pedals that work a little better with that guitar. Since the DG is something of a pedal platform by design (Grissom uses pedals quite a bit), it's important to have a good match for all the instruments on the pedalboard.

It's the old story...get one new piece of gear, and the whole rig sometimes has to change!

Last edited:
I'd end up with some approximation of DG's board. In fact I'd probably blindly by what he uses. It'll be interesting to see where you end up since you're someone more open to tweaking. Happy pedal hunting.

I'd end up with some approximation of DG's board. In fact I'd probably blindly by what he uses. It'll be interesting to see where you end up since you're someone more open to tweaking. Happy pedal hunting.

He seems to use an EP Boost a lot; and there's usually a distortion pedal that he changes out from time to time (Fulltone Plimsoul, Psionic Telos, others). I'm also seeing a modded Arion chorus, an SP Compressor, and most recently he's switched from a Strymon delay to a Line 6 M9.

So some of this stuff I have.

Gotta say, though, that the HXDA is so great for me without the need for a single pedal, that I wonder if all this pedal stuff is worth bothering with.

I dunno. It's a confusing world.

What?!?! Sacrilegious!!!!

Hah! I don't believe in the supernatural anyway.
I chickened out on selling the DG a second time, so I guess additional pedals will be in my future. :beer:
I also found a nice combination of my current pedal stuff that seems to compliment the amp well. So that's a good thing.

I'll admit that I've spent, um...way too much time on this but it just seems so important for some reason, in spite of the fact that it really isn't all that crucial!. ;)

Last edited:
He seems to use an EP Boost a lot; and there's usually a distortion pedal that he changes out from time to time (Fulltone Plimsoul, Psionic Telos, others). I'm also seeing a modded Arion chorus, an SP Compressor, and most recently he's switched from a Strymon delay to a Line 6 M9.

So some of this stuff I have.

Gotta say, though, that the HXDA is so great for me without the need for a single pedal, that I wonder if all this pedal stuff is worth bothering with.

I dunno. It's a confusing world.

Sounds about right from the images I have seen. You should do it. :top:

Sounds about right from the images I have seen. You should do it. :top:

Here's my new Master Plan (bwahahaha):

a. Just sold the Mesa Recto 212 and will replace it with a pine PRS closed back 212. I like the warmer pine cab sound, and the light weight. Figure I'll do this before adding pedals so any pedals I get will not have to be replaced due to change in cab.

b. Will try out the Psionic Telos. Apparently it has a very high end buffer built in, a clean boost, and a mild OD. Pricy, but perfect for the stuff I do, fewer pedals needed.

c. Will check out some of the better multi-effects systems on the market to handle modulation and delay. so I don't need a four foot long pedalboard to do this.

Here's my new Master Plan (bwahahaha):

a. Just sold the Mesa Recto 212 and will replace it with a pine PRS closed back 212. I like the warmer pine cab sound, and the light weight. Figure I'll do this before adding pedals so any pedals I get will not have to be replaced due to change in cab.

b. Will try out the Psionic Telos. Apparently it has a very high end buffer built in, a clean boost, and a mild OD. Pricy, but perfect for the stuff I do, fewer pedals needed.

c. Will check out some of the better multi-effects systems on the market to handle modulation and delay. so I don't need a four foot long pedalboard to do this.

The cab plan is solid. I can only imagine that DG cab slaying for most everything.

I was just at CR's and he had a Telos on his board. He said it was quite good.

There are plenty of good delay and chorus pedals out there so you should find something that suits your tastes.

Good luck man. Keep us posted.

The cab plan is solid. I can only imagine that DG cab slaying for most everything..

I have the DG cab, and while it's absolutely perfect for the DG30, it isn't quite right for the HXDA (yes I'm being picky).

So I'll have two pine PRS cabs, one closed, one open. Long-term, I'll also be adding a Rivera Silent Sister to have yet another option.

I have the DG cab, and while it's absolutely perfect for the DG30, it isn't quite right for the HXDA (yes I'm being picky).

So I'll have two pine PRS cabs, one closed, one open. Long-term, I'll also be adding a Rivera Silent Sister to have yet another option.

Sorry. Meant the cab with the head for all styles you'd use the head for would probably be an excellent pairing.

I want to try these amps. I really do need to visit!

Hi Les!

I don´t know if you´ve seen this, but it´s very interesting (from 41:30 onwards he talks about the cabinets):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLyy1zU1_M

Also, if the 2x12 you are getting is the Deep Back "Big Mouth" Cabinet, i strongly recommend it for the HXDA.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Les!

I don´t know if you´ve seen this, but is very interesting (from 41:30 onwards he talks about the cabinets):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLyy1zU1_M

Also, if the 2x12 you are getting is the Deep Back "Big Mouth" Cabinet, i strongly recommend it for the HXDA.

Good luck!

Hi FJ, thanks for that link, really enjoyed it!

The 2x12 I'm getting for the HXDA is the pine Stealth cab.

The Big Mouth is Baltic Birch, and very much like the Mesa 212 Recto cab I was using. It's a terrific cab, and sounds great, but I'm digging the pine cabs. It's a different sound, but it's pretty cool, too. And the weight is a lot lower.

Last edited:
Back