Considering upgrading the pickups in my SE Tremonti

OperatorAce

I have a few things I am looking for in a good set of pickups to upgrade this bad boy:

1. I don't care who makes the pickups.

2. I do like the characteristic PRS sound, so that likely means PRS pickups - I'd assume.

3. I don't want anything that would be super hi-output. The Tremonti bridge pickup is far too much output for my uses.

4. I really love the sound of the middle pickup type selector on the PRS 513, and its effect on the pickups.

5. I will be using the guitar for heavy blues, and possibly for alt-metal down the road. Needs to have some flexibility for both.

6. I would love it if the pickups had the option for split-coils. Yes, I would be upgrading all the tone and volume pots at the same time.

7. They should be covered or have the parts to cover them readily available.

Thanks for any help/opinions!

Last edited:
59/09's are exactly what you want. So versatile.

Aye, but are there covers available for these new PRS pickups that have square edges? Also, they don't appear to be splittable according to the store website.

Last edited:
Seems like the only choices I have are the SC 245 and the Dragon II pickups. Thoughts?

If you want to hear a varitety of PRS pickups, check out Richards shoot out video posted in the electric section.

Thanks Corey! Forgot about that, even though I watched the video when it was posted.

That's gonna be a close contest between the Dragon IIs and the 245s. I do like that the Dragon IIs are a bit clearer, but the 245s might be better for heavy blues considering how fat that sound was. I'll have to try them out in person, but that definitely helps.

Back