Considering a return to tubes...

Yup.
In our case with a 2 guitar cover band I make sure my rig sounds different from the lead player's rig.
Even to the point that if we're both playing chords I'll play a more "accentish" role and if he's on granny chords I'll go barre, and vice versa.
Anything to avoid us both strumming the same pattern in the same positions with similar rigs. Even if you're both heard it's sonically boring.

Exactly. I do the same whenever I'm playing lead but have to strum chords during chorus or verse while other guitar players are playing. I'll barre or play a high inversion of the chord, or I'll arpeggio the chord rather than just strumming the same thing as the rhythm player.

Yup.
In our case with a 2 guitar cover band I make sure my rig sounds different from the lead player's rig.
Even to the point that if we're both playing chords I'll play a more "accentish" role and if he's on granny chords I'll go barre, and vice versa.
Anything to avoid us both strumming the same pattern in the same positions with similar rigs. Even if you're both heard it's sonically boring.
Yes!
Also, I’m a big fan of using octaves. :D

Yup.

Quite nice to add the odd perverted chord in there as well!

Reub promised us he wasn't about to show us any pictures, so we're safe. Only thing we worry about are speedos.
I bet he has those pictures though. You know I'm right... :D

(I mean the perverted chord pictures, not the Speedo one, but... I know he also saved that one! :eek:)

Old school tube amp guy here, so take this with as much salt as your diet will allow.

IMHO modelers sound fantastic - in the digital realm. Straight to DAW they work fine and are crazy powerful. The DSP kits by Neural are especially impressive. Companies like Fractal, Helix, Neural, Strymon, etc are doing some amazing things, but even at their best they’re just digital representations of the real thing.

However, my experience is that digital modelers are just not as effective in the physical realm as real amps with real analog circuits. To my ears, tube-based circuits sound the best of all.

It’s not something I can quantitatively measure on an oscilloscope, spectrometer or frequency analyzer, it’s just something my ears tell me. I’ve learned to trust them, so I still use tubes amps.

Last edited:
I didn't even know there WERE such a thing as "perverted chords!" However, I am not surprised that you did! :p

Well, they're not exactly perverted, but there are guys who fetishize the augmented chords. Some consider it perverted when a chord is suspended, but who are we to judge what goes on between consenting band members? And it goes beyond saying there should be no judgement of any of this - none of this makes the chords diminished in anyway.

And who amongst us hasn't been tempted to get a double neck guitar, alter the tuning, put the selector switch in the middle to get both necks fired up, plug in and hammer out a glorious double D?

I take the perspective of having both setups for a couple of options.
Usually always I am running direct into the PA regardless of where we are playing. I have a couple of Friedman ASC-10 monitors that I added Fender tilt back legs to and point them straight up at me. The tone I get through these with the Axe III is my recorded tone. It's also the same tone going out to FOH. I find it so easy to record guitar with the modeller and in the mix, no one can tell the difference.

However, when we rehearse, I bring my amp head and use the cabinet at the rehearsal place. I find that in that space, I like using the amp more. Then there are those gigs where I want to use my amp as my monitor and take the feed from it to the board via FOH. It all just depends upon what I want to carry that night.

I just keep both options there. Some days I like what comes out of the modeller a bit more then the amp and other days, it is the amp that sounds amazing.
I will say that these days I find my self using my amp and 212 cab much more.

They’re a shocker!

51330824929_b658cf7e70_o.jpg

I'm not against modelers and I doo believe that its just matter of time when they will take over the vacuum valve world but I'm a meat and potato type of a guy. One drive, one clean and a bit of boost here and there. My current amp setup gives me just that and it has decent master volume. I do not record, I do not play in cover band I do not practice at night, I do not have needs for marshall mondays, mesa tuesdays etc.

I will stick to valves for my main tones.

I could see myself with that Neural QC in a while tho for mobility sake and being able to capture tones (my tones) so maybe in future.

Also if I ever go with piezo equipped guitar I will defo run the piezo bit trough the modeler with acoustic IR's and ****.

Modelers are great, just way to much for my current needs

Aw and I forgot to mention that I was considering modeler with PA + cab, a midi controller prior to buying my Boogie. All summed up was more than valve head plus cab I finally bought. Less money, good base tone... winner winner chicken dinner

I'm not against modelers and I do believe that its just matter of time when they will take over the vacuum valve world but I'm a meat and potato type of a guy. One drive, one clean and a bit of boost here and there. My current amp setup gives me just that and it has decent master volume. I do not record, I do not play in cover band I do not practice at night, I do not have needs for marshall mondays, mesa tuesdays etc.

I will stick to valves for my main tones.

I could see myself with that Neural QC in a while tho for mobility sake and being able to capture tones (my tones) so maybe in future.

Also if I ever go with piezo equipped guitar I will def run the piezo bit trough the modeler with acoustic IR's and ****.

Modelers are great, just way to much for my current needs

It's good to know that your needs are met with a tube amp. I've yet to record with my Fractal, but this is just another step towards finding contentment with my gear.

I've heard good things about the Neural, and some technical issues they've been working with. Hopefully Neural will have worked out the bugs in their firmware and software so more folks can enjoy their product.

Regards excess variables, there is that. I prefer to see the potential that modelers espouse. If they're reliable and trustworthy, why not? Otherwise, being content with a tube amp may limit your amp choices, but as you said, you're not a flavor-of-the-week guy, so that is appreciated.

My appreciation is based on the fact that anytime I wish to relive part of my younger days of owning gear, the Fractal has almost every amp, effect type, and cab I've ever owned. That means anytime I wish to stroll down memory lane, the Fractal is there, waiting for me to recreate the rigs I've previously owned.

It's good to know that your needs are met with a tube amp. I've yet to record with my Fractal, but this is just another step towards finding contentment with my gear.

I've heard good things about the Neural, and some technical issues they've been working with. Hopefully Neural will have worked out the bugs in their firmware and software so more folks can enjoy their product.

Regards excess variables, there is that. I prefer to see the potential that modelers espouse. If they're reliable and trustworthy, why not? Otherwise, being content with a tube amp may limit your amp choices, but as you said, you're not a flavor-of-the-week guy, so that is appreciated.

My appreciation is based on the fact that anytime I wish to relive part of my younger days of owning gear, the Fractal has almost every amp, effect type, and cab I've ever owned. That means anytime I wish to stroll down memory lane, the Fractal is there, waiting for me to recreate the rigs I've previously owned.

Yeah man, totally - whatever works for each of us. I would never record my pukes but if I would I would be all over modelers. No faffing around with mic placements, instant great tone, reamping and all this...

I think its bit to soon to jump into QC as its still a bit fresh and kinda rushed in AFAIK but it has a potential.

Back