Considering a Harley Benton for a travel guitar

pgj

I travel overseas for extended periods for work and want to take a guitar with me. Really don't want to take my PRS or Strat...was thinking about a Harley Benton. I know they are basically knockoffs of the major brands, but the reviews of them are almost all positive. Just want something cheap that if it gets broken or stolen it's no big deal. They have a PRS looking hollowbody that I'm really interested in. Any thoughts on HB as a beater guitar for extended hotel stays and international air travel?

Travel? What’s that? Like when you go from the bedroom to the living room?

Yeah, once things open up I'm on the schedule for visits to Okinawa and England plus one to New Mexico. Usually three weeks each visit.

I’d buy an used SE245 STD for about the same money. They are bullet proof.

Best decision you will ever make.

Not sure where you are seeing that. Those are about $500 used. These HBs are under $200 new.

I travel with a SAS in a big bag, or a hollowbody in its shaped case. The hollowbody is a great travel guitar - sounds fine unplugged and won’t bother anyone. Better through headphones. Pretty compact.

Yeah, most of my playing in the hotel will be unplugged. Don't want a loud full acoustic. Never played a hollowbody or semi hollow, but I assume the unplugged sound is somewhere between just playing an electric unplugged and a regular acoustic.

Yeah, most of my playing in the hotel will be unplugged. Don't want a loud full acoustic. Never played a hollowbody or semi hollow, but I assume the unplugged sound is somewhere between just playing an electric unplugged and a regular acoustic.
Volume wise I would say noticeably louder than an electric. Maybe 1/4 the volume of an acoustic.
For a long time I used a pedal sized Zoom to play through headphones on the road. They fit comfortably in the pocket of the big bag.
I strongly preferred a better guitar on the road than a cheap guitar. A cheap guitar just wasn’t fun. As a result, my SAS shows more wear than my other guitars, but even after being a traveller for 10 years, it would easily last through the playing life of a grandchild.

Volume wise I would say noticeably louder than an electric. Maybe 1/4 the volume of an acoustic.
For a long time I used a pedal sized Zoom to play through headphones on the road. They fit comfortably in the pocket of the big bag.
I strongly preferred a better guitar on the road than a cheap guitar. A cheap guitar just wasn’t fun. As a result, my SAS shows more wear than my other guitars, but even after being a traveller for 10 years, it would easily last through the playing life of a grandchild.
Not sure what an SAS is...

lbtZdTS.jpg

Get a used SE at least..: I mean, I don’t go on vacation with my best stuff but, I also don’t take my sh!tiest shoes and clothes either.

Taking a PRS Harley Benton knock off on vacation is like taking a man in a dress on vacation instead of your wife... except that’d be awesome.

Get a used SE at least..: I mean, I don’t go on vacation with my best stuff but, I also don’t take my sh!tiest shoes and clothes either.

Taking a PRS Harley Benton knock off on vacation is like taking a man in a dress on vacation instead of your wife... except that’d be awesome.

Where do you want to go hunny?!;)

How about it! My commute from upstairs to downstairs was brutal this morning. Had to step over the dog, and navigate the minefield of bones she has strewn about.

And don't forget about the trick knee. Those always make those stairway commutes trickier.

o_O:eek:

LMAO!

I have a fairly cheap plank that I did some mods on to sound/play better and be more conventional

I too travel for work. Thing is its easier to have something you can pack in the hold inside your luggage and not carry around airports, through security or worry about stowing overhead. A hollow body is asking for trouble. This is headless so fits inside case easy.

I'll post a pic, its off brand but does have 2x PRS pickups, and PRS core knobs ;)

Steinberg spirit with S2 #7 pickups and BK veneer 63 SC. They come setup for double ball end strings, which are available ok but more expensive. I eventually got a headstock converter, from ebay, so that it can use normal strings

Works a treat, especially with HX stomp and headphones. The guitar has a fold out metal leg so it sits on your leg just perfectly, really good design, and 14in fingerboard radius, bass wood solid body. The stock pickups were from the epip cheap bin and went in my bin.

DvH6qXU.png

I have a fairly cheap plank that I did some mods on to sound/play better and be more conventional

I too travel for work. Thing is its easier to have something you can pack in the hold inside your luggage and not carry around airports, through security or worry about stowing overhead. A hollow body is asking for trouble. This is headless so fits inside case easy.

I'll post a pic, its off brand but does have 2x PRS pickups, and PRS core knobs

Steinberg spirit with S2 #7 pickups and BK veneer 63 SC. They come setup for double ball end strings, which are available ok but more expensive. I eventually got a headstock converter, from ebay, so that it can use normal strings

Works a treat, especially with HX stomp and headphones. The guitar has a fold out metal leg so it sits on your leg just perfectly, really good design, and 14in fingerboard radius, bass wood solid body. The stock pickups were from the epip cheap bin and went in my bin.

DvH6qXU.png

The headless idea is a good one. Keisel is another choice. Maybe not as inexpensive as other choices listed, but is a nice travel size.

Back