Conservation of Energy.

László

Too Many Notes
This isn't actually only about guitars. In fact, it might just be a little crazy.

I find that as I grow even older (almost impossible at this stage, I know, but it is what it is), I tend to do things in steps that reduce other steps, even when those things require very little energy!

F'rinstance, I find myself paying attention to such things as organizing loading the dishwasher to minimize whatever steps I have to take unloading it, or making sure I have everything I need to take into the studio while working in only one trip. Etc. I just made a martini, which I do at 5:30 3 or 4 times a week, and noticed I was organizing my trips to the refrigerator for olives and vermouth, as well as carrying the items I needed to make the martini in a very energy-conserving way, as opposed to making several trips for ingredients, shaker, glasses, etc.

I don't recall being this efficient with my actions when I was younger.

My theory, which is completely unscientific with a one-person sample size, is that aging reduces my energy level, and as a result, I intuitively plan my steps Ito minimize energy expenditure.

This is both interesting, and a little depressing. Though in a way, it makes perfect sense! :eek:

Perhaps I've always been this way, and simply never thought about it before, but I don't think that's the case. I think it might simply be instinctive as human beings get older.

This isn't actually only about guitars. In fact, it might just be a little crazy.

I find that as I grow even older (almost impossible at this stage, I know, but it is what it is), I tend to do things in steps that reduce other steps, even when those things require very little energy!

F'rinstance, I find myself paying attention to such things as organizing loading the dishwasher to minimize whatever steps I have to take unloading it, or making sure I have everything I need to take into the studio while working in only one trip. Etc. I just made a martini, which I do at 5:30 3 or 4 times a week, and noticed I was organizing my trips to the refrigerator for olives and vermouth, as well as carrying the items I needed to make the martini in a very energy-conserving way, as opposed to making several trips for ingredients, shaker, glasses, etc.

I don't recall being this efficient with my actions when I was younger.

My theory, which is completely unscientific with a one-person sample size, is that aging reduces my energy level, and as a result, I intuitively plan my steps Ito minimize energy expenditure.

This is both interesting, and a little depressing. Though in a way, it makes perfect sense! :eek:

Perhaps I've always been this way, and simply never thought about it before, but I don't think that's the case. I think it might simply be instinctive as human beings get older.

For me, it’s trying to work logically.

As my friend says:

“The best way to do a job is the easy way”

Same. Always try to effcientize all movement habitually. I'm not sure where this comes from I was quite disorganized when I was younger. Perhaps I realized being more efficient allows more laziness than being lazy and having to deal with the aftermath.

Laziness is not effective without a strong dose of efficiency.

As I get older, I too find myself thinking harder and working less. I wish I’d started these habits when I was younger.

The flip side is that time passes more quickly. I might be more effective, but I seem to have less net time.

Yep, this is something I've done for a long time. As I've told several managers, I work very hard to be lazy. Part of it is also because my occupation now has more restrictions which can make it harder to make adjustments quickly, and sometimes users can't (or won't) wait. So I work issues w/an eye towards making the solution as flexible as possible.

I can relate.. I spent half a life time as a Performance Engineer , always finding ways to make whatever run more efficiently . This has certinly seeped into my playing as I find more and more to strive for the essential purity of the note, tone and it's relation to the song.

And yet there's certain freedom and enjoyment from going to the fridge 3 or 4 times for the ingredients to a meal, or not having to load your arms full of bags when carrying in the groceries. Just make a few trips. The stress is gone, the pressure to get it all done is gone, just enjoy the experience.

I understand your thought process, I do both. Depends on the day, I guess.

I kind of go the other way, intentionally. I'm very organized when it comes to getting to a task, like the dishwasher example Les started with. But, when emptying I may take out one dish at a time and put it away. For me, it's about getting the extra movement. If I was still walking 2 dogs everyday, I may not do that.

I kind of go the other way, intentionally. I'm very organized when it comes to getting to a task, like the dishwasher example Les started with. But, when emptying I may take out one dish at a time and put it away. For me, it's about getting the extra movement. If I was still walking 2 dogs everyday, I may not do that.
One movement a day is enough for me

One thing I love about our newer dishwasher--the upper tray for small stuff. I load all of the like-kind utensils together, and I no longer have to sort when unloading. Unless, of course, my mother-in-law was visiting and "helped."

I had the phrase "work smarter, not harder" instilled in me at a very early age. That included thinking about the direction you are heading and if anything else needs to be moved in that direction. It has served me well and helped me understand how to work smarter by exercising the brain a bit (including when "working" on a margarita)! As I get older (like 1/11,000th the age of less), I find more that I decide "that can wait" for a lot of things (unless it is making a margarita)!!

Thing is, I've always been highly organized and efficient. I've spent two careers being highly organized and efficient (law. composing).

It's just that now I'm even more obsessed with organization and efficiency, and more aware of it than usual. I suppose it isn't something to worry about, but it's starting to feel a little...weird.

Back