Conservation of Energy.

I’m same way Les. With age comes wisdom.
As my dear dad once told me: "you start finding easier ways of doing things when you start getting older."

So with that bit of wisdom I used my lawn mower this year to mulch up the fallen leaves in my yard. Before I'd rake them up in piles and then load them up into the bags. No more! It's so much faster and easier now.

This isn't actually only about guitars. In fact, it might just be a little crazy.

I find that as I grow even older (almost impossible at this stage, I know, but it is what it is), I tend to do things in steps that reduce other steps, even when those things require very little energy!

F'rinstance, I find myself paying attention to such things as organizing loading the dishwasher to minimize whatever steps I have to take unloading it, or making sure I have everything I need to take into the studio while working in only one trip. Etc. I just made a martini, which I do at 5:30 3 or 4 times a week, and noticed I was organizing my trips to the refrigerator for olives and vermouth, as well as carrying the items I needed to make the martini in a very energy-conserving way, as opposed to making several trips for ingredients, shaker, glasses, etc.

I don't recall being this efficient with my actions when I was younger.

My theory, which is completely unscientific with a one-person sample size, is that aging reduces my energy level, and as a result, I intuitively plan my steps Ito minimize energy expenditure.

This is both interesting, and a little depressing. Though in a way, it makes perfect sense! :eek:

Perhaps I've always been this way, and simply never thought about it before, but I don't think that's the case. I think it might simply be instinctive as human beings get older.
“Working smarter, not harder”:cool:

I used to work with a woman who was very anal about organizing her stuff, keeping her desk clean, etc. I was not - I always had tons of papers and stuff all over my desk, clean up once a year whether it needed it or not. It drove her nuts. She complained to our boss repeatedly and begged her to allow her to clean up my desk. Finally, my boss had enough and said, "Look, when I ask you for something, you have to dig around and find out where you put it away and it's 20 minutes until you have it. When I ask him for something, his eyes roll up in the back of his head, he reaches out and pulls what I need in about 10 seconds. Whether you like it or not, what he does works for him. Leave it alone."

The company I work for now has had a "clean desk" policy for years, plus post-Covid, we don't have assigned desks, so the stuff I bring home I keep in folders. Now it takes me a couple minutes to find the things I need.

I'm way more efficient than I was when I was younger. When you are young, time is to be slayed, you attack things with vigor and beat them into submission, no matter how long it takes! When you get older, time is to be danced with, an ever evolving waltz in which you have discovered that taking the time to tie your shoes first makes for a more graceful dance and lessens the chance of falling flat on your face.

Ha Les,
the story of my life i don't know how it is said in english but at a very young age i was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and it sucks lol where are my car keys where did i put if or that.. i start a task and another challenges me... agrr...

Medication was little used when I was a child so I learned to live with it! Now I manage to save time and do better, but some days are more difficult than others. Sometimes I envy structured and orderly people but my wife likes to make fun of me so that must be part of my charm!!

The following may bum you out. Do not read if you're not prepared for a dose of reality.

After about the age of 98, my elderly grandmother resigned herself once she had moved in with us to speak as little as possible. Gram did so originally because 1) she was in unfamiliar surroundings, 2) she was legally blind from macular degeneration, and 3) she was legally deaf and wore hearing aids as well.

We surmised that Gram was in conservation mode because of her advanced age. Gram would not initiate conversations, and would reply with only "Yes," "No," or "I don't care."

While this made it difficult to interact with her, it did seem to make her more or less agreeable on more important matters. We also realized that "conservation" also meant "preservation." Gram conserved her energy for more important things (like making the daily trip out to lunch at restaurants with family).

Conserving her energy also meant preserving her life, for had Gram not been given a bad diagnosis at her annual physical two months before she stopped eating, Gram might have lived beyond her 102 y.o. lifespan.

I think I’m going the other direction! I’ve been off that stupid medicine for almost two months now, and last night I had the highest level workout on the elliptical that I’ve had in over 3 years. I’m running the stairs a few times a day at work, and doing my calf raises on the steps. I just got some resistance bands for my birthday, from my daughter and SIL (the trainer) and have used them a couple times now... Heck, I’m looking for MORE ways to use energy. I know I said this last week, but I haven’t felt “good” for a couple years, and getting off that medicine , and back on the workouts, has me feeling like ME again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve worked in production since, well always. So I learned early on to do everything to increase efficiency to reduce time and steps for whatever is coming next. Whatever it takes to keep the process moving to reduce downtime and increase production with the least amount of effort.

I do it with everything in life which makes me ocd on things. Annoying to some cause I’m always pre planning everything.

I think I’m going the other direction! I’ve been off that stupid medicine for almost two months now, and last night I had the highest level workout on the elliptical that I’ve had in over 3 years. I’m running the stairs a few times a day at work, and doing my calf raises on the steps. I just got some resistance bands for my birthday, from my daughter and SIL (the trainer) and have used them a couple times now... Heck, I’m looking for MORE ways to use energy. I know I said this last week, but I haven’t felt “good” for a couple years, and getting off that medicine , and back on the workouts, has me feeling like ME again.
I take as little medicine as I can get away with.

Neither my youngest or I can feel right if we can’t do a good energy burn.

Another side of conservation of energy.
I gave my bathroom a bit of a makeover last month and stretched it over days.
Tuesday scrape the walls
Wednesday plaster to cover cracks and such
Thursday sand the rough spots and wash everything down
Friday shrink wrap the toilet tank and tape edges of stuff
Saturday paint a coat of trim
Sunday f all
Monday roll a coat
Tuesday second trim coat
Wednesday second roll coat
Thursday replace light bar (a bit tricky with only 2 hands) and final trim coat
Friday touch up ceiling where tape pulled paint, or I was sloppy

Milked that two day job for a week and a half.

Another side of conservation of energy.
I gave my bathroom a bit of a makeover last month and stretched it over days.
Tuesday scrape the walls
Wednesday plaster to cover cracks and such
Thursday sand the rough spots and wash everything down
Friday shrink wrap the toilet tank and tape edges of stuff
Saturday paint a coat of trim
Sunday f all
Monday roll a coat
Tuesday second trim coat
Wednesday second roll coat
Thursday replace light bar (a bit tricky with only 2 hands) and final trim coat
Friday touch up ceiling where tape pulled paint, or I was sloppy

Milked that two day job for a week and a half.
Here is a model of the bathroom project I was thrust into last week! My girl decided remove old shower, replace with tiled shower (her house so it shall be so) needed to be done NOW and she hired a contractor before anything was designed or thought through, or even what tiles would be available immediately. This is the 3D model I came up with based on the tiles we did find! Luckily, I only have to provide a bit of assist here and there to the contractor!

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print01.jpg

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print02.jpg

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print03.jpg

This isn't actually only about guitars. In fact, it might just be a little crazy.

I find that as I grow even older (almost impossible at this stage, I know, but it is what it is), I tend to do things in steps that reduce other steps, even when those things require very little energy!

F'rinstance, I find myself paying attention to such things as organizing loading the dishwasher to minimize whatever steps I have to take unloading it, or making sure I have everything I need to take into the studio while working in only one trip. Etc. I just made a martini, which I do at 5:30 3 or 4 times a week, and noticed I was organizing my trips to the refrigerator for olives and vermouth, as well as carrying the items I needed to make the martini in a very energy-conserving way, as opposed to making several trips for ingredients, shaker, glasses, etc.

I don't recall being this efficient with my actions when I was younger.

My theory, which is completely unscientific with a one-person sample size, is that aging reduces my energy level, and as a result, I intuitively plan my steps Ito minimize energy expenditure.

This is both interesting, and a little depressing. Though in a way, it makes perfect sense! :eek:

Perhaps I've always been this way, and simply never thought about it before, but I don't think that's the case. I think it might simply be instinctive as human beings get older.
You just know that you’re running out of time, so trying mash as much in as you can.

that's GREAT!!!

Here is a model of the bathroom project I was thrust into last week! My girl decided remove old shower, replace with tiled shower (her house so it shall be so) needed to be done NOW and she hired a contractor before anything was designed or thought through, or even what tiles would be available immediately. This is the 3D model I came up with based on the tiles we did find! Luckily, I only have to provide a bit of assist here and there to the contractor!

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print01.jpg

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print02.jpg

BathroomShowerRemodel_03_print03.jpg
See what’s wrong with this? The toilet should’ve been placed inside the shower to conserve energy.

Back