Connecting a 212 8ohm external cab to my PRS 30 Combo?

el chuco

If I connect an external cab (212 8 ohms) to my PRS 30 Combo from the external speaker jack on the amp, will it defeat (disconnect) the combo's internal speaker? Does anybody know for sure because if it does, then, I can leave the switch at 8ohms on the back of the amp. But if it doesn't, then, will the external 8ohm cab be connected in parallel to the combo which means I'll have to toggle it to 4ohms. Or will it be connected in series and I have to use the switch on 16ohms? HELP!

If I connect an external cab (212 8 ohms) to my PRS 30 Combo from the external speaker jack on the amp, will it defeat (disconnect) the combo's internal speaker? Does anybody know for sure because if it does, then, I can leave the switch at 8ohms on the back of the amp. But if it doesn't, then, will the external 8ohm cab be connected in parallel to the combo which means I'll have to toggle it to 4ohms. Or will it be connected in series and I have to use the switch on 16ohms? HELP!
In reading my question again, I realized it's to confusing and maybe that's why no one has replied. Please allow me to rephrase it. "If I plug an 8ohm external cab to my PRS 30 Combo's external speaker output, do I put the ohm switch in the back of the amp on 4ohms or 16ohms? Thanks.

Last edited:
Asumming the combo has one internal speaker, which there is a 99.9% chance that it is a 8 ohm speaker, when you add another cab (8 ohms), the switch should be set to 4 ohms. You may hear a volume difference between the combo based speaker and the extension cab due to the efficiencies of the speakers.

The extension speaker will NOT defeat the combo speaker. When adding an extension speaker, try to match the 8 Ohm rating of the combo speaker, and then set the Ohm rating for 4. that will work fine. The total of the combo and the extension (in Ohms) should equal the original rating of the combo speaker alone (i.e. 4 + 4 = 8).

Thank you Ampguy and docbennett for your replies. That makes sense! I think I was confusing myself, but, I wanted to make sure I had it right. And yes, the internal speaker of my combo is rated at 8 0hms. Again, thank you guys, your guidance was much appreciated.

Back