Congrats to Steph!

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
I happen to know that (A) yesterday was Justin Bieber's birthday, and (B) he is Canadian. So I wanted to congratulate Steph, who is also from Canada. She must be proud, as must ALL Canadians be, and rightfully so!

Steph, I hope you aren't suffering any ill effects from 'Bieber Fever'!

Goldtop Lloyd Salutes Our Brothers and Sisters to The North

Try living in the same town of Justin Beiber lol.....

Ha ha ha! lol

I restrain from going outside and leave the house. And, inside, all TVs and radios are unplugged for safety. :wink:

Blague à part, fortunately is he's not that popular in Québec. Probably the language thing again. And me having no kids helps, I guess...
Although is success command for respect, I have to say he is not my cup-o-jo.

To Goldtop and all the nice folks south of the border : I salute you! :cheers:

PS. For the record, I'm a "HE"...

You're male? Well, I apologize. I rarely look at the 'Names' thread, and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that you were a young lady. I am really sorry. I was thinking your username was short for Stephanie. I feel like a fool. Please forgive me. :dontknow:

Lloyd

I don't understand the Beiber hate, he seems like a nice enough kid.

I of course don't know him personally at all, but his brand of pap just goes against my grain. I'd like to steal his comb and hide it.

To me, him, and Taylor Swift, and countless others now, in the past, and in the future, are an insult to hard working bands and musicians who slog away year after year after year and never get the recognition they deserve, while 'pretty boys and girls' seem to be regarded as the greatest thing(s) to ever happen to music. What happened to paying your dues and earning it? THAT'S my beef with them; nothing personal at all.

Lloyd

Last edited:
I don't understand the Beiber hate, he seems like a nice enough kid.

Its not the kid itself. Its the over-exposure, I guess ! :dontknow:
Often in C'nada, once someone gets successful, you tend to only here him/her everywhere, flooding the medias.
He's a good talent and all, but for me its just a matter of musical taste. Too much of a teen spirit for me old f*rt... ;)

In Québec, its Céline Dion. Very hard to avoid if someone wants to...

You're male? Well, I apologize. I rarely look at the 'Names' thread, and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that you were a young lady. I am really sorry. I was thinking your username was short for Stephanie. I feel like a fool. Please forgive me. :dontknow:

Lloyd

No worries... ;)

I did write somewhere asking if they were any women on the forum. Maybe that's what threw you off.

Anyways, record is set now.

Chears!

I of course don't know him personally at all, but his brand of pap just goes against my grain. I'd like to steal his comb and hide it.

To me, him, and Taylor Swift, and countless others now, in the past, and in the future, are an insult to hard working bands and musicians who slog away year after year after year and never get the recognition they deserve, while 'pretty boys and girls' seem to be regarded as the greatest thing(s) to ever happen to music. What happened to paying your dues and earning it? THAT'S my beef with them; nothing personal at all.

Lloyd

I call it "the cult of the youth", which in this day and age, seems to have taken on another level, with all the mass medias and social network and all.
If J Bieber can be called "Old School" ?!?, he's surely getting old fast...

Old feels even older than ever before, it seems. But its probably just me and my old ways.

Ok bye! :goodnight:

I guess the fact that Justin, Taylor, and their ilk irritate me is just more proof that I'm getting old. Next thing you know I'll be arguing with the cashier at the store over a can of soup or a tube of Ben-Gay!

Lloyd (Pops) Goldtop

Lloyd

Everybody knows I'm the only girl here.:girl:

I call it "the cult of the youth", which in this day and age, seems to have taken on another level, with all the mass medias and social network and all.
If J Bieber can be called "Old School" ?!?, he's surely getting old fast...

Old feels even older than ever before, it seems. But its probably just me and my old ways.

Ok bye! :goodnight:

I agree with you there, western culture is in love with youth. I see guys who are 40-ish still trying to break into the business and I feel bad for them. No matter how talented they may be, they are too old to be a "new artist". Some people who achieve success earlier in life can sometimes carry fame into later years, but rarely do you see anyone older gain first time success.

I agree with you there, western culture is in love with youth. I see guys who are 40-ish still trying to break into the business and I feel bad for them. No matter how talented they may be, they are too old to be a "new artist". Some people who achieve success earlier in life can sometimes carry fame into later years, but rarely do you see anyone older gain first time success.

Very true, Shawn... unfortunately!

The hate for Beiber is a bit much. Not my cup of tea but that's about my only thought on it.

I do think we worship too many people with little talent these days though. It seems all you have to do is appear on a reality tv show and you're an instant hero / heroine. The world is full of 'celebrities' who haven't earned the mass worship they seem to get. Why isn't society as a whole looking up to those who have done great things, those who deserve to be called 'great'?

Anyhoo, rant over.

Western culture is also in love with fame and fortune; "making it" in the business is the operative goal.

But one can achieve artistic success and make a living in the business without becoming a pop culture phenomenon. The shame is that there are very talented people who do nice work, who think they've somehow failed because they didn't get famous, and there are talented young people whose 15 minutes of fame are up who feel "washed up."

It's a cruel business that way.

I'll take that CASH ... ;-))

FWIW .. "RED" is in my GTI and it sounds great .. plus TAYLOR is cute.

I am good with both.

I'll take that CASH ... ;-))

FWIW .. "RED" is in my GTI and it sounds great .. plus TAYLOR is cute.

I am good with both.

I agree with that; I think Taylor's a very pretty young lady. And I think if she's around long enough, and keeps at it, she may make a serious mark in music before she's done. She obviously has a talent/gift for writing. Hopefully time and experience will give her more subject matter to write about. You write what you know, and she hasn't been around long enough to know a lot yet.

I think my disdain for these young 'stars' is nothing new in the music world, or most other businesses. I imagine the same kind of sentiments (and even worse) were aimed at Elvis when he came along. Not only was he like nothing ever seen before, but he was younger than many performers. Who knows how many people thought he was awful, evil, an abomination, a disgrace, and on and on.

At least my own attitudes about Justin and Taylor aren't that extreme.

Grumpy Old Goldtop

Back