Confessions of An Ampaholic

Actually, if you get the right saddle, it's great foreplay. :D

(This joke inspired by the "That 70s Show" episode I saw last night, where Red gets a motorcycle and after Kitty initially telling him he has to take it back, Red convinces her to take one ride before they return it. Kitty comes back very "excited" after a ride on the bike and tells him that he is absolutely NOT getting rid of it. :p Love that show!)

I miss that show. Reruns are on during work days...

Back to the topic, I am an ampaholic too. As previously stated, I like each amp flavor for different moods.

It is the same with guitars too.

Amps and guitars are like *****: once you’ve felt one, you pretty much want to have all of them. :)

Fixed it (evil grin)

Wouldn't you hear the horses clomping along? I'd imagine a carriage going over the rough ground wouldn't be exactly quiet.

I'd think the bigger impediment to romantic entanglement would be your own horses having "issues".

tenor.gif

That's my mom's favorite episode. She never misses the reruns, and 20+ years later, she still cracks up at that horse ripping ass

Reruns are on every night as well, which is why I asked. Times have changed, but they’ve been on Laff channel every night for at least 3-4 years now.

Reruns are on every night as well, which is why I asked. Times have changed, but they’ve been on Laff channel every night for at least 3-4 years now.

We have OTA TV as well, with Laff & Comet. Occasionally (used to be Friday or Saturday evening, but we lose Comet reception at night nowadays) Mystery Science Theater 3000 would be on, as well as a ton of old cult B-movie sci-fi classics from the 50s and 60s. Although 11:30 PM and later is usually party crowd atmosphere, being an old fart I like to think I'm somewhat educamated and watch travel or cooking shows. No one tells you your golden years are supposed to be cultured and intelligent ones, so they let you believe that by providing PBS channels.

FTR, not everyone buys into the comedy hype, even though after watching the evening news, we could all use a laugh so we don't end up going to bed totally bummed out. (My pref is to just to live a balanced life, because what goes up, must come down emotionally, and balance is key so you don't have really good days followed by bad ones. Just sayin', YMMV)

Kind of like why one person might like lemonade; another limeade; another, Kool-Aid. To each his own.

We have OTA TV as well, with Laff & Comet. Occasionally (used to be Friday or Saturday evening, but we lose Comet reception at night nowadays) Mystery Science Theater 3000 would be on, as well as a ton of old cult B-movie sci-fi classics from the 50s and 60s. Although 11:30 PM and later is usually party crowd atmosphere, being an old fart I like to think I'm somewhat educamated and watch travel or cooking shows. No one tells you your golden years are supposed to be cultured and intelligent ones, so they let you believe that by providing PBS channels.

FTR, not everyone buys into the comedy hype, even though after watching the evening news, we could all use a laugh so we don't end up going to bed totally bummed out. (My pref is to just to live a balanced life, because what goes up, must come down emotionally, and balance is key so you don't have really good days followed by bad ones. Just sayin', YMMV)

Kind of like why one person might like lemonade; another limeade; another, Kool-Aid. To each his own.

I like to laugh and have a good time. My "balance" is, I watch mainly sports, "cop shows" and comedy. I may have re-runs of That 70s Show, Becker, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc. on for 2 hours at night, while I surf the forums. Just semi-watching in the background while I'm on the WWW.

Also, to get back on topic... I have been blown away lately by my Archon into my two latest cab/speaker purchases. 1- I put an Eminence EM12 in my Mesa Thiele cab. It SLAYS. Sounds HUGE for a 1x! And the balance makes it hard to go back to V30s.... 2- I bought a used Dr. Z Zbest cab. If you do a little research, it is basically a 2x12 Thiele cab! It has a V30 and a Warehouse ET65 in it. Again, it sounds HUGE and great! I would run right out and get another EM12 or the Warehouse version of the EV speaker, but this cab is already so heavy it's crazy, and only has one handle on the top. I'm CERTAIN that with two EM12s in it, it would blow away most 4x12 cabs. (but you probably couldn't lift it with one handle!)

The Thiele/EM is a game changer for me. I've always preferred 2x12s, even at lower volume, because they just sound bigger and better. The Thiele cab is relatively small (way too small to set my Mark V on when I had it, for example) but thing sounds bigger than most 2x12s. What it loses in "multi-speaker swirl" it makes up for in uncolored sound that allows you to just use the amp however you want, without an imposed V30 spike dominating the sound.

Here's another example: The Bogner ATMA is known to sound much bigger than other small glass/iron amps. But I bet you $50 that if I took the ATMA/Dr. Z on stage and hid the amp, you'd swear it was a big glass/iron amp. That said, the Archon > 1x12 Thiele/EM12 is scary good sounding and shockingly big sounding. Cramped for space on stage but need some juice? 50 watt Archon>Thiele/EM12. DONE!

I like to laugh and have a good time. My "balance" is, I watch mainly sports, "cop shows" and comedy. I may have re-runs of That 70s Show, Becker, Cheers, Seinfeld, etc. on for 2 hours at night, while I surf the forums. Just semi-watching in the background while I'm on the WWW.

I'd have to say some of the cops shows, schlocky sci-fi, cooking, travel and nature shows are more my preference. Not much a fan regards shows with folks who debate incessantly (Becker, King of Queens) or folks with an agenda. Too much stress that leads to aggression. Also not a 'Two & ½ Men' or 'Mom' or "Shoot 'em up" violent shows fan. Sends the wrong message.

Have enough trouble with choosing wholesome recreation and entertainment that you wouldn't mind allowing young kids to watch, simply because my belief system involves considering families and how we might wish others to view us.

Perhaps not quite a Mr. Rogers viewpoint, but someone you could appreciate as a neighbor who takes care of his household and property just like you might. Something to think about...

I'm on basic basic cable. Channels like ESPN, FS2, TCM, etc are all on Expanded Basic Cable.

All others are on pricey TV

I'd have to say some of the cops shows, schlocky sci-fi, cooking, travel and nature shows are more my preference. Not much a fan regards shows with folks who debate incessantly (Becker, King of Queens) or folks with an agenda. Too much stress that leads to aggression. Also not a 'Two & ½ Men' or 'Mom' or "Shoot 'em up" violent shows fan. Sends the wrong message.

Have enough trouble with choosing wholesome recreation and entertainment that you wouldn't mind allowing young kids to watch, simply because my belief system involves considering families and how we might wish others to view us.

Perhaps not quite a Mr. Rogers viewpoint, but someone you could appreciate as a neighbor who takes care of his household and property just like you might. Something to think about...

I think Becker his hilarious, but I'm sure in part due to the complete 360 that character is from his character on Cheers. He's a total grump! LOL And, I love King of Queens. Not a fan of Mom and was initially a fan of 2 1/2 men, but it just went too raunchy fast.

Being an empty nester, I no longer worry about "what the kids will see" on my TV, but I still have some standards I will enforce.

I "think" I'm a pretty good neighbor also. In the last year, I've mowed my neighbors lawn basically all summer last year, did all her trimming and weed eating etc, because she's widowed, 75 years old and hurt her back, I've cleaned my other neighbors gutters because he's 60 and weighs 300lbs and has no business on a ladder, and I've shoveled snow and picked up leaves for at least 4 neighbors who were older. I've cut up and hauled off fallen trees, etc... Dang, I'm a better neighbor than I even thought! :p

I'm on basic basic cable. Channels like ESPN, FS2, TCM, etc are all on Expanded Basic Cable.

All others are on pricey TV
Don't know where you live, but everyplace I've been near a city, LAFF and ME TV are both on air channels. You can get them with a digital antenna if not on your cable. When we go camping and have no cable, we watch those at night once we're in the camper for the night.

*Shrugs* I dunno
$10 for one of those antennas. That 70s Show reruns every night... seems too good of a deal to pass up. (Assuming you are in a location where in the past you had regular TV stations you could pick up with an antenna0. Laff and ME TV are both add on channels. So if your local channel is "Channel 9" Laff might be digital channel 9.2 and METV might be 9.3.

I think Becker his hilarious, but I'm sure in part due to the complete 360 that character is from his character on Cheers. He's a total grump! LOL And, I love King of Queens. Not a fan of Mom and was initially a fan of 2 1/2 men, but it just went too raunchy fast.

Being an empty nester, I no longer worry about "what the kids will see" on my TV, but I still have some standards I will enforce.

I "think" I'm a pretty good neighbor also. In the last year, I've mowed my neighbors lawn basically all summer last year, did all her trimming and weed eating etc, because she's widowed, 75 years old and hurt her back, I've cleaned my other neighbors gutters because he's 60 and weighs 300lbs and has no business on a ladder, and I've shoveled snow and picked up leaves for at least 4 neighbors who were older. I've cut up and hauled off fallen trees, etc... Dang, I'm a better neighbor than I even thought! :p

You're a better man than I am, DTR. My apartment is currently in senior apartment housing, and we're a fairly small community of folks who seem to air their grievances quite often. It's not always that easy to remain positive with older folks (me being the youngest of the group at age 60).

My neighborly manner is usually extended to my 2 closest neighbors who are just more humble and happier people, a big burly guy who reads books from the town library incessantly, minds his own business, and doesn't make noise after hours, and an elderly Japanese man who has no family locally and doesn't speak English well, but is visited every so often by a friend of the family who cares for his medical and material needs.

My thought was toward the Japanese man today, as I had prepared some slow-cooker BBQ ribs 2 days ago and though to bring some over with some salad for him. My neighbor is quite a guy, bows profusely at the waist to greet and thank people for even the most insignificant things...perhaps it's his gratitude for even small things that touches my heart the most...

Perhaps its this interest in other people that sometimes has me wondering...my question involves how we view others and why it's important sometimes to consider others before we consider ourselves...perhaps this is why it's not always possible for me to enjoy practicing guitar any old time...one needs to think if the neighbors might mind, and perhaps it's good policy to feed the less fortunate who might not have a plate of food they've cooked for themselves.

The two thoughts don't go together as one might consider "keeping people close to you," rather, remembering the needs of others when one can afford time or energy to provide for them. That, and we might do well to ask ourselves if the shoe was on the other foot, how might we wish to be treated ourselves?

Back