Concerts you can brag about.

Are you going to make the trek across the state to Philly to see them open for Maiden June 4th?

I just saw about that today. If that's Experience weekend, it's a great time for it. Haven't seen Maiden in a long time, and I want to. That should be a great double-bill. Ghost will have a shorter set, but I'm guessing it will have a ton of impact.

I just saw about that today. If that's Experience weekend, it's a great time for it. Haven't seen Maiden in a long time, and I want to. That should be a great double-bill. Ghost will have a shorter set, but I'm guessing it will have a ton of impact.

They're in Chicago on June 15th. I'll have to go, even though I hate the outdoor venue. It would be my first time seeing Ghost. Maiden, on the other hand, would be somewhere between 15 and 20. Saw them last April at the United Center in Chicago on the Book of Souls Tour. Great show. They were in top form.

Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Fabulous Thunderbirds second row center at Maryweather Post Pavilion. Steve and Jimmie pleaded a few songs together.

They're in Chicago on June 15th. I'll have to go, even though I hate the outdoor venue. It would be my first time seeing Ghost. Maiden, on the other hand, would be somewhere between 15 and 20. Saw them last April at the United Center in Chicago on the Book of Souls Tour. Great show. They were in top form.

The last time I saw Maiden, Ace Frehley opened for them. We had to miss them another time - the venue was a couple hours away and Ace opened again. We saw Ace, but there were issues w/the security barrier in front of the stage and it was getting later and later and we finally had to bail. Now I'd just go to work tired.

Ghost puts on a great show - very theatrical without being flashy, if that makes sense. There's a good bit of visual stuff, but it doesn't rely on pyro and stuff. Sorta like Kiss minus the fire breathing, blood and 90% of the pyro. And Ghost has a keytar solo!

I've seen a bunch of shows, great bands and performances. Not sure if I've seen a show of historic significance though.

Just saw one of the most unbelievable shows in 38 years of going to concerts!
I caught The Neal Morse Band at a cool new venue here in Atlanta on Saturday night. Outstanding 3,4 and 5 part harmony vocals, virtuoso performances from all 5 guys on their instruments. This show easily ranks in the top 5 of all the concerts I've ever seen, and probably number 1 for sheer musical and vocal spectacle!
Neal Morse sang lead, played keys and lead guitar and acoustic 12 string.
Eric Gillette sang lead and played seven string lead guitar (w/piezo for acoustic parts)
Bill Hubauer sang lead and played keys, sax and mandolin
Randy George sang bkg vox and played bass
The inimitable Mike Portnoy sang bkg vox (and a little bit of lead vox) and murdered a large drum set.

My wife and I had a table less than 6 feet from the bassist, and probably 10 feet from Portnoy. They performed their entire 2 hour double disc concept album "The Similitude of a Dream" from start to finish, then did a couple songs from their previous album as a 20 minute encore.
I think Atlanta was the last show on the US leg of the tour, but if you ever get the chance to see them live - just do it! If you like prog at all, especially bands like Dream Theater and Spock's Beard, you will be blown away!

20170204_221220_zpsvlayeov0.jpg

Last edited:
I had a buddy that used to rig the ticket lottery at this store called Crow's Nest that he was the manager for back in the 90's. We used to get insanely great seats for a long time beck when everything was still general admission.

2'nd row for Clash of the Titians: Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, and this unknown band called Alice In Chains... AIC got booed throughout their whole set. Layne spent at least 15 mins. with his middle finger up pointed at Slayer fans that were throwing sh!t at him. I'm not sure if it's a show to brag about but, all of those bands were at the top of their game.

Like a lot of you, I've been going to concerts, big and small, since the mid-70s so I've seen all the rock there was to see pretty much. Am proud to say I saw Miles Davis and Frank Sinatra. I had tickets to see Elvis in September of the year he died.

But the craziest/scariest most out of control concert where I was worried for my safety was Rage Against the Machine, Nassau Coliseum NY 1999. The security lost command, and what police presence there was literally withdrew. The entire place became a GA slam. Zach could incite a riot as well as anyone lol.

Wow. This would be tough -
1st concert Yes - Tormato tour (Concert in the Round) 1979. By the end of the concert you couldn't see from one end of the area to the other that much smoke was in the air. Adult couple near us brought in a 6 foot bong.
SRV in St. Paul with the Stray Cats as opening act. (Tough night as Albert Collins was on a different stage at the same time.)
The Who 1980. Pete and Roger nearly got into a fistfight on stage that night.
Allman Brothers Band 1981. A festival where they played 45 minutes longer than scheduled.
Neil Sedaka at Lake Tahoe - went with my parents. Was actually a fun time and boy did he have the hits back then.
Bo Diddley at the Cabooze Bar in Minneapolis.
Danny Gatton at First Avenue in Minneapolis right after 88 Elmira Street came out. Was about 10 feet from the stage for that show.

There are lots of others. Including hearing and meeting Doc Severinsen on my 17th birthday. Still have the autograph.

Then there was the strangest festival. Ever. Riverflat Jam at the University of Minnesota. Opening act was a local new wave/punk band, then Lamont Cranston band. Excellent local blues/rock. And then for something completely different - Motorhead. I was laughing so hard at them that Lemmy was freaking out, shaking his fist and swearing at me. (They were supposed to be the 2nd act, but the guitarist was passed out on a hillside for all to see for a good 45 minutes. Followed by Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhodes on guitar. Honestly don't remember a thing about them. Except I had to move back because of the crush of fans. (Longer story to that. Some other time/venue) The headliner? - .38 Special. Yup, a southern rock band. Go figure.

Too Many to count.. A Few Notable
Spinal Tap Break Like The Wind Tour
Iron Maiden W / Twisted Sister 1984
Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Queensryche 2003 (saw all 3 shows in Florida}
Metallica W/ Queensryche opening 1989
Monster Of Rock 1988 (Metallica, Dokken, Scorps, VH)
Slayer Motorhead & Over Kill 1987
Matt Guitar Murphy & The Blues Brothers Band 1989
Ramones & Blondie Escape From New Your Tour 1990
Skid Row W/ Pantera Opening 1992 (2 weeks before Vulgar was released)
Kiss Reunion Tour 1996 at Madison Square Garden 1st & 2nd Night!!

Just scored tix for Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Volbeat at Metlife Stadium in May. Going with my son and 2 step-sons. Should be a killer show, as long as James' mic works:p

That's a rare stadium show I'd consider. But it's not coming here. It'll be in Toronto the day after Iron Maiden and Ghost, and that's a possible road trip.

Back