Concert report - Blackberry Smoke

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
Short version - if you get a chance to see them, do it. Do not hesitate.

Charlie Starr is my new benchmark for live tone. No, he didn't play any PRS...mostly LP Juniors and Teles through a Germino...but good GODS he sounded fantastic.

I've heard very few bands that are both organic and tight, but dang, BBS is. It was my first time seeing them, but it won't be the last. The highlight for me was "Ain't Much Left of Me", which is my favorite song of theirs anyway, but in the middle they broke out into"When the Levee Breaks" before returning to the song. Incredibly well done.

A friend of mine is totally into these guys! About 4 years ago, my friend and his wife were in Santa Cruz, CA and they were playing!! They were able to get tix and see the show!!! I trust his opinion, but have yet to explore their material!!!! This give me new motivation!!!!! Thanks for sharing and psyched you got to see a fantastic show!!!!!!

A friend of mine is totally into these guys! About 4 years ago, my friend and his wife were in Santa Cruz, CA and they were playing!! They were able to get tix and see the show!!! I trust his opinion, but have yet to explore their material!!!! This give me new motivation!!!!! Thanks for sharing and psyched you got to see a fantastic show!!!!!!

Check this out

I've loved BS since they first came out. Best rock band to come along since the Black Crowes and Georgia Satellites. They are the real deal. I've seen them several times. If I could hand-pick a band to tour and play music with today, it would be Blackberry Smoke.

Charlie Starr has one of my favorite tones for sure! And it's mostly guitar>amp. Just TURN IT UP. Still need me an LP Jr...

For those who haven't seen the live DVD- get it, it's great.

Rig rundown:

Last edited:
They're really cool. I'm surprised I haven't heard of them yet. Hope there will be an opportunity to see them in Canada soon. It looks like they will have a tour in Europe the following year.
I usually don't like concerts, but their shows' atmosphere seems nice and not too stressful. The point is that I cannot stand large crowds and get anxious right away. That's why I choose concerts with a more relaxed crowd and an abundance of safety measures like stanchions. I need to see that the concert managers care about the people in the audience to decide to go. There are good stanchions for sale in Canada, so it's not that difficult to do. However, many still prefer not to bother and install the bare minimum.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada and have seen them 3 times now. Each show had a different flair about it and unique to the last - yet the music largely was same. They have such a deep set list you'd never tire of seeing them live. Met Richard the first time outside the tour bus on the street in Syracuse. Had a good 20 min conversation or so of all sorts of things. Really cool cat. No corporate fluff band here. Authentic rock n roll that is right out of the best era.

Back