• Yes - can't live without it

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Yes - sometimes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No need

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

RocknPop

I just bought my first compressor pedal (MXR Custom Comp). Curious to know whether or not you guy use them.

I play rock/pop/indie/alternative music.

My fav compressor is a thin pick.Also having my clean sound on the crunch channel with the volume knob turned down is a good compressor.Because i like the 80s guitarheroes i would like a compressor pedal for some of that prestine clean sounds popular of the time.Country guitar sounds with a compressor and a tele gets on my nerves :) but boy can they play the guitar.

Never needed one...I know some like a bit to smooth things out but that is the opposite of what I look for in tone. I like a more open non compressed drive.

I don't... a lot of guys use them to smooth things out, change the attack on notes, sustain, etc. Which is cool, but it kinda kills the whole "touch sensitivity" thing for me. Not saying it's wrong by any means, I just prefer to have a more organic experience.

I've experimented using a compressor model in my HD500 in the fx loop of my amp. The idea was to try and balance out the volume differences when using the volume knob of the guitar, as in, 4-5 for cleans through to 7-8 for dirty, 9-10 for extra crunch/sustain for solos. What I found was the volume difference was too great (with my amp) to make it usable on stage, once I added the compressor I found it really difficult to get an even volume across all guitar volumes settings, without affecting the sound too much. I'm not a fan of the squishy sound, and how the compressor takes away from the attack nuances.

I ended up ditching the experiment and going to some clean boost in the loop, boost clean for clean sections, and also use it as a solo boost.

What I'd really like is a transparent compressor which just makes loud sounds slightly quieter and quiet sounds slightly louder. Any suggestions?

I use it for that classic snap n' pop when I need to get my twang on. I use the 4 knob Keeley. It's like a warmer Dyna Comp but not as heavy but not as transparent as an optical compressor, which I personally don't care for because I find them too transparent for my needs. So I use it for maybe 3 songs in a set.

I have tried several, but I keep going back to working without them. I just can't get used to the introduced changes in tambre... compression has it's price and I'm just not willing to pay it at this point.

I've had a vintage Dyna Comp for decades but never use it. I should probably find it a home that would appreciate it more. Just never liked it staying in the signal chain...on or off.

I've never been a compressor guy but just recently got an Effectrode PC-2A. I'm still experimenting with it.
It did work great for me live in a tune that (distorted) single notes and full chords had to be of equal volume.
It's also a great boost pedal when the peak reduction knob is off. Bonus!

I used to use a CS3 boss after a line 6 dl4 delay to smooth out some of the volume jump (I only used the ratty analogue lo fi delay models) it gave it a bit extra sparkle with the sustain on 10, it was annoying to switch both at the same time and I sold it. I don't like having too many pedals and it wasn't vital

I like the subtle compression that I get with a Fulltone Fat Boost at unity gain, playing clean rhythm stuff. It's especially useful for recording to help control the dynamics.

Most of the time I don't need it, and switch it out of the loop.

Back