Complement to the P22

rockit2112

Hi guys, long time lurker but decided to finally create an account because I just have this burning question I want some help with. I got a P22 recently and am absolutely in love with it. I love it so much, I've decided I must get another PRS! I've been searching and searching but am having some trouble picking which model to go for that would be great to go along with the P22. I originally thought I'd absolutely have to get a single cut guitar to go along with it, but this thing sounds better than my LP (that I'll be selling to get my new PRS), so I won't necessarily be against another double. So far I've been looking at the SC245, the Tremonti, a McCarty, Paul's Guitar, Modern Eagle, there's just so many choices. Just wanted to see what you guys would recommend. If you have any questions for me, shoot! Thanks for helping me out here!

+1 on trying out something with the 408s in them...the good news is that it's easy to find a great PRS because there really aren't too many bad ones, but the bad news is that depending on where you are you may not be able to try all that many out first...happy hunting!!!

Hmm, haven't considered the 408 yet. What about it do you guys think would make it a good fit?

Hmm, haven't considered the 408 yet. What about it do you guys think would make it a good fit?

Hugely versatile. Great tones in both humbucker and single-coil mode.

But here's a question back at you - in your mind, what would compliment the P22? That would make suggestions easier.

I guess I'm looking for a little more simplicity. Since the P22 covers a good range of sounds for me I want one that does one or two sounds really, really well. I thought a SC of some sort or McCarty would be a good bet for that. Not exactly a huge fan of single coil sound which is why I hadn't thought about the 408 much. I play mostly rock in the vein of Alter Bridge, Tool, GNR, Metallica, and the other usual suspects in that aspect.

Then a Tremonti might be a good choice - it's a hotter guitar. Lots of oomph. It'll handle the heavy stuff with ease. The 408 or Paul's would handle it as well, but perhaps a bit more gracefully where the Tremonti is a bit more aggressive.

I guess I'm looking for a little more simplicity. Since the P22 covers a good range of sounds for me I want one that does one or two sounds really, really well. I thought a SC of some sort or McCarty would be a good bet for that. Not exactly a huge fan of single coil sound which is why I hadn't thought about the 408 much. I play mostly rock in the vein of Alter Bridge, Tool, GNR, Metallica, and the other usual suspects in that aspect.

There you have your answer! You need a Singlecut. The Tremonti will be a better choice here, especially for rock and metal. And Fret12 has annouced that PRS will be reintroducing the stoptail for Tremonti this year, it's über good news if you're not a fan of tremolo systems. :top:

I like the idea of the Tremonti a lot, and also look at the 245. You can make heavy music on either one.

The one negative about the Tremonti for me is the thin neck, I'm a thumb-over player, but I'll see what's out there for me to try in my area before I jump to conclusions about it. Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

Either an SC245 or find a 2007 Artist Singlecut with Brazilian board(Dave's guitar has several new ones). I have both with 5909 pickups in each(so I'm comparing apples to apples). My 2 particular guitars, the artist is a bit more modern...a little more "punch". Both great guitars, just slightly different. I have an adjustable stoptail on my artist since I use really heavy strings in drop C tuning. You have more adjustability intonation-wise with that bridge, even over the 2 piece on the SC245.

I would look for a Single cut Modern Eagle or a SCT both have Wide fat necks also this would be a good time to get some crackwood :)

Back