Comparison of bridges

fgeorge097

I was wondering if more experienced PRS'ers could chime in on differences between bridges, specifically the one-piece stoptails vs the two piece. Is the two-piece more stable with regards to tuning/string breaks?

My only PRS has the piezo, and while it sounds great, I break strings quite frequently.

I never break strings, so can't help you there. The two-piece bridge sounds more "woody" and vintage, probably due to the fact that it attaches to the wood of the guitar body in four places instead of two. There are also the adjustable-saddle bridges (haven't owned one of those, wouldn't want to express an opinion on the basis of a few store plays) and the Paul's Guitar wrap tail bridges with the brass inserts (have that, sounds very solid).

Welp, last night I broke a string while doing a setup on my S2 Mira... I've had it for a month, and it broke near the nut, so I don't think my adjustable stoptail was the cause... I am wondering if its common to setup and then a day later Im about 1/64 off on my action. Does my bridge move?!?!?!?

Depending on your playing style the two piece will probably be harder on strings.

When I had LPs my strings would break on the saddle, always.

My prs trems break on the saddles as well. I switched to 10s. I only get two shows out of a set of strings. I use my trem a lot and that doesn't help matters.

I just shake my head in disgust when I read about guys on here getting months out of a set.

Depending on your playing style the two piece will probably be harder on strings.

When I had LPs my strings would break on the saddle, always.

My prs trems break on the saddles as well. I switched to 10s. I only get two shows out of a set of strings. I use my trem a lot and that doesn't help matters.

I just shake my head in disgust when I read about guys on here getting months out of a set.

Oh you will loooove my strat that has 2yr old strings! and my Takamine acoustic that has a fresh set of 1yr old strings after the 4yr strings it had before! Can't help it if they don't break, i think its the natural oiliness of my hands... I'm not a fan of clanky new strings lol

I am sorry I can't remember the last string I broke ( and Im old ) I change strings once or twice a year ;)

As far as bridges go I have most of them and to be honest each seems to be the perfect fit for the guitar I have it on
On my ME2 ( stop tail 1 piece ) its a great place to rest your hand , super solid tuning and the intonation with 10s is perfect
On my SC-58 the two piece is MUCH better than any lester bridge I have used, I thought at first look the squareness would be uncomfortable but that is not so.
And the Trem Bridge is PERFECT !!!! for me.

I break a string maybe once every 2-3 years. And that's only when I've kept them on too long, detuned to fuss with the bridge, something like that. Not sure why, I don't try to be particularly gentle. Weird.

I have one fully adjustable bridge, it's a Tonepros model, and I love it. Not sure if it has to do with the break angle of the string vs. the non-adjustable, which doesn't really have much of a break angle to speak of, or what. But I've even considered going to the Mann fully adjustable on my other stoptail guitars.

Yeah, when I broke strings all the time, my friend told me I was doing something wrong. So: you're probably doing something wrong. I mean, there's a possibility that there's something catching at either the nut or the bridge, but unlikely. You'd feel it. And that's only if you break the same string repeatedly (in my case, it was the high E string, but it still ended up being me, and not the guitar).

It's been a month of Sunday's since I broke a string. And since I gig weekly, those strings get a serious workout and dirty. I try to replace them every couple of months, but before I went to EB Cobalt 11s, I was replacing them every 2 weeks.

Welp, last night I broke a string while doing a setup on my S2 Mira... I've had it for a month, and it broke near the nut, so I don't think my adjustable stoptail was the cause... I am wondering if its common to setup and then a day later Im about 1/64 off on my action. Does my bridge move?!?!?!?
If the action is moving, the truss rod is moving. Look to that. Did you change string gauges from what the guitar came with? I break the occasional string, but I bend the snot out of them on a solo.

I am sorry I can't remember the last string I broke ( and Im old ) I change strings once or twice a year ;)

Ditto here (save for the old part ;))

I find I break more strings on a trem guitar compare to a hard tail one.. With strats it's worse for me than a les Paul or PRS.. With a les Paul two piece bridge I found if I put the strings through the tail piece like the old wrap over bridges then over the saddles it reduced the break angle of the strings an reduced string breakages... Also sounded better to my ears with a bit more even string balance with 10 gauge strings...

I can't remember the last time I broke a string on a PRS, Trem or Stoptail.

My SC245 wraparound bridge stays in tune better than any other guitar I've ever owned. My CU24 is a very close 2nd.

If the action is moving, the truss rod is moving. Look to that. Did you change string gauges from what the guitar came with? I break the occasional string, but I bend the snot out of them on a solo.
I just changed to Daddario XL's same gauge last night... Cut myself trying to unscrew the locking tuners too haha... Yeah, i dunno if I have to adjust action, it seems okay... Im getting fret buzz on the the G string on the 9th fret all the time, i cant figure it out.

Back