COMBO AMP OR HEAD & CAB?

I have 3 Combo's at the moment - Fender Super Sonic, Fender '59 Bassman LTD Reissue and a Mesa TA-30. Last time I got to play out I took the Mesa. It's a 2x12 and pretty heavy but it's ON WHEELS. :biggrin:

If I was starting over, I think I'd go 2x12 cab ON WHEELS and heads. With all the great "lunch box" type heads out there I'd really like a good cab then just pull a head to match my mood, venue and required power. I'd really like one of the PRS 2x12 Stealth Cab's...i wonder if they come with..... wait for it! :laugh:

WHEELS - the best friend for a bad back ;)

I like a head and cab separately, so that I can bring the cab to suit the size of the venue. Bring the 1x12 for bars, a 2x12 for clubs, and a 4x12 for outdoor venues, etc. The head separate from the cab gives me versatility.

Lack of room dictates having a 1x12 Koch combo. I did however recently picked up a Jensen loaded 2x10 to go under my Pro Junior, how to make an already great amp better and still keep a relatively small footprint!

Prefer head + cab in most cases. Don't need to match, all about getting the right tone.

Head and Cab for me
My Carvin Legacy 3 amp is 29lbs and 100watts
The 2X12 is 40 lbs.
6614C14B-0C98-4219-AFED-809AFF86F3FB-189-000000108802F469_zpsa563e8ac.jpg

I can make a case for either. This combo is quite heavy as is the 2-12. I have no preference.

Chieftain007.jpg

The 4-10 sounds incredible but is once again on the heavy side. The Reason/D13 combo is nice, light, and sounds pretty good. Doesn't match all that well.

Bambino005.jpg

Last pics in this thread. Two completely different lightweight Matchless rigs. Sorry for the lack of PRS content.

Spitfire003.jpg

LittleMonster001.jpg

I might have a thing for Matchless amps.

Here is a shot of all of mine, including the little Fender Mustang 1 combo which I do not use anymore.
I much prefer heads, and that tiny Orange Micro Terror is louder than the new Blackstar HT5R head I picked up recently that is sitting in the 1x12 Orange cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it.

The Carvin V3M is overkill into the 4x12, it is 50 watts of pure tube power.

1.jpg

Yeah would be nice,if i had how thoudands for that stack,ill stick with my 5150111 evh combo,with my discount paid $&1299

,and it rocks ....just me..

Back