Color match back plates

NBW

I have a wonderful SE custom 24 with the spaulted maple top. I just bought some mahogany back plates, but they are unfinished. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get the finish close?

If the back of the guitar is natural, just seal them with shellac or some clear sanding sealer and spray some clear coat on them. Wet sand the high spots out, buff and then you'll probably have an exact match as long as the wood was similarly colored to begin with.

It seems to have some red stain or dye. I have been advised to do a light poly followed by a medium brown gran filler, then I need to figure out the dye situation and urethane. I may bring the axe by the local woodcraft and see what they say.

So after a lot of work the answer was 8 parts empire red 3 parts amber on top of some timber mate filler and many coats of lacquer.

Not perfect but pretty good

view

Oh and here’s another project called “suitcase full of tonel

view

I have a wonderful SE custom 24 with the spaulted maple top. I just bought some mahogany back plates, but they are unfinished. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get the finish close?

Watch this...

and others like it...search "how to finish mahogany" on youtube

Let’s try this again

2hiouJo

It doesn’t seem to want to let me embed video from flicker.

2hirg2X

So my version of the imgur app doesn’t have that menu. I tried the copy link widget, no love. I also tried opening the image in my browser and copying the link from the browser.

Thanks. In my app it’s called link to post. I am sorry for being so dense. I’ve been writing code for 40 years and found this befuddling.

Back