Color Help Needed

WesJ

Hello,
I have been scouring the internet for photos for Aquamarine and River Blue. There's plenty. However, I am trying to decide between the two colors for my next PRS. As you know, one photo isn't the same as the next due to lighting, camera, angle, etc. So I am trying to find both colors side by side in the same photos. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Well, you may find that there is another twist that may make your comparison potentially misleading:

No two guitars are going to stain the same way.

I've seen such variation in what both colors represent, I think you'll be fooling yourself by using just a single comparison of two guitars in the same lighting and camera. And even then, the camera and lighting may be set up such that one seems to appear better to you, but in reality it isn't what you will see / expect "live and in person". You could get another pair of guitars with those same two finishes in that same lighting and have completely different results.

That being said:

If you are going to place an order and wait for the guitar to be built, go find some recent builds and see if in general you prefer one color over another - especially using dealer photos (and even more ideally, from the same dealer, as they tend to be consistent in their approach).

If you are looking to buy an existing new or used guitar: Find a guitar with a color, regardless of what the finish is called, that looks like the guitar you want.

Oh, and @sergiodeblanc will undoubtedly say:

"Ugh. Never buy a blue guitar."

;)

I found pictures of each, both taken in a similar-looking environment, at the same angle, by the PRS dealer Peach Guitars, by googling each color with the name "peach guitars." Here's what I found--

Aquamarine:
4o0a6046_753007febb.jpg

River Blue:
4o0a0995_116eef750d.jpg

Gotta love it! I am also just SLIGHTLY colorblind. So sometimes I don't pick up on the green/blue thing. My first car was dark green. I thought it was blue for the first year. :eek:

Anyways, the first Aquamarine is what I am looking for. The first River Blue has too much green for me but the second one looks pretty perfect!

Appreciate the first suggestion. I am currently selling two guitars to fund this next purchase. Looking for HBII 594 possibly Wood Library in blue but a particular shade of blue!

Well, you may find that there is another twist that may make your comparison potentially misleading:

No two guitars are going to stain the same way.

;)

I have thought about this, I was first kind of trying to narrow it down (if I could) between the two. I did see one Wilcutt Guitars was selling in River Blue and it seemed way more "blue" than "blue/green" - if you will. Wasn't sure if it was my eyes, the lighting, or as you mentioned, the staining.

I found pictures of each, both taken in a similar-looking environment, at the same angle, by the PRS dealer Peach Guitars, by googling each color with the name "peach guitars." Here's what I found--

Aquamarine:
4o0a6046_753007febb.jpg

River Blue:
4o0a0995_116eef750d.jpg
Here's a River Blue in natural light. I didn't use any thing special on the pics. Just my iPad with no tweaking.

LtTEwwp.jpg
And there are examples of exactly what I was trying to covey.

The two instances of "River Blue" look quite different. But, you can see that "River Blue" does seem to have more "green" buried in the blue, vs Aquamarine looking almost all "blue" in comparison.

Here's my 594 in Aquamarine.

mPFkY1j.jpg

It has a bit more green than the Aquamarine image from Peach. But not as "striated" as the River Blues. OTOH, here it is beside my SAS (Blue Matteo), looking much more blue.

blXjjkk.jpg

It has a bit more green than the Aquamarine image from Peach.
Stupid forum software won't let me edit to clarify:

My Aquamarine 594 is "less stridently blue" than Peach guitar's image of that same finish - the green tint to the blue is overall, not like the streaks of green hidden under the blue you can see in the River Blue example.

..."River Blue" does seem to have more "green" buried in the blue, vs Aquamarine looking almost all "blue" in comparison...

Yes, this is definitely the consistent distinction between those two colors that I'm noticing now, too.

What about Sergio? Well, I'm sorry but he's wrong about blue in this case.
Never one to pick a fight with Sergio, but I like my blue guitars - they are all different:
SE SVN in Whale Blue Burled Poplar
SAS in Blue Matteo
594SH in Aquamarine
Korina Brazzy McSoapie in Sapphire Blue

Plus the blue burst on my WL509 Purple Blue Burst (formerly and only shortly known as Bruiseburst)

What model is this one? I'm new and have never seen a middle pickup that looks like that.

That's the "Experience PRS 2020" limited-edition Modern Eagle V model. 200 of them were made, only in the two colors: charcoal and river blue. There was a Private Stock run of them, as well (which had some even more high-end touches).

Well sort of on topic… what’s this new Lake Blue color for 2022. Is it an old color brought back or is it brand new? No one seems to be talking about it.

Back