Coil taps on the SC-245?

Zack Matzanias

I watched a nice video of Bryan Ewald demoing the SC-245. The guitar he played had push-pull coil taps. To my knowledge, these guitars didn't have coil taps in previous years and the website doesn't spec them.

Is this a new feature this year? I don't think I like coil taps on a traditional single cut.

I think so. I just received a late 2015 SC245 yesterday and it has push pull coil taps for both pickups. I don't believe the hype about "these pickups split really well" though, the 58/15s sound pretty awful IMHO split compared to some of my other guitars with coil taps.

Indeed must be a new feature. Previous model years definitely did not have it.

I think so. I just received a late 2015 SC245 yesterday and it has push pull coil taps for both pickups. I don't believe the hype about "these pickups split really well" though, the 58/15s sound pretty awful IMHO split compared to some of my other guitars with coil taps.

I completely disagree. They split incredibly well on my McCarty, best standard humbucker splits I've experienced in 47 years of playing.

Everyone's taste is different, though.

Indeed must be a new feature. Previous model years definitely did not have it.

My 1957/2008 SC245 has coil taps. I don't think they were supposed to, but word was that a few got wired that way.

The old school 245's didn't split (though the pups can), but these new ones do. I must say, after hearing the demo, the splits were very very usable! Some of the best so far. I wasn't a fan of the amp settings, but everyone hears differently.

Back