Coil tapping

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Vinker202, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Vinker202

Vinker202 New Member

This is just a fancy term for a little volume reduction. Do you find use for this?

2. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Traditionally coil tapping is just that only using one of the two coils in a humbucking pickup, with half the available turns of wire you would have a single coil guitar with the normal lower output. Many of the newer PRS pickup offerings ( 408 , 58/15mt etc ) are wired so as not to have a volume drop just a slight tone difference.
    I have found uses for both options when coil tapped the lower output with have less distortion or in some cases an rhythm should with a bit more treble and less vol. on the newer PRS pickups the added treble ( or clarity ) when tapped is also a nice option , I have guitars that are both wiring methods and each have advantages IMHO

3. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

A quick Internet search on "pickup coil splitting vs coil tapping" could prove helpful

shimmilou likes this.
  4. Vinker202

Vinker202 New Member

5. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

I use the coil tapping on my guitars all the time. But I suspect you're just looking to troll.

Casi1, shimmilou and bodia like this.
  6. GuitarJammin

GuitarJammin New Member

I'll assume you don't know what coil tapping is or why it exists. To summarize, it gives single coil pickup tone when tapped, and humbucker tone when not tapped. The reason for the volume drop is simply half the pickup is not being used. Guitarists in general like "single coil" tones for certain styles of music, and "humbucker tone" is a necessity for many styles of music as well.

bodia likes this.
  7. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Tell you what, give the guy a chance, he has his own opinion and may be misinformed. Many of us once began as brash clanging cymbals before we settled into a nice groove. This could be any one of us before we were accepted into the fold.

P90s, Casi1, shimmilou and 1 other person like this.
  8. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Yes, it's useful for guitar parts where you don't wish something too thick in tone. When you dial your amp in correctly, it's quite pleasant and the volume drop is hardly noticeable with more recent PRS guitars.

9. Vinker202

Vinker202 New Member

Well, I hope I am not attacking religion or anything...it just I didn’t think much of the piddly volume change, the effect is barely noticeable no? I have enough science knowledge to infer what it means but I just wondered if people really use this...no offense guys carry your own thing...tap your coils to your hearts content

10. Vinker202

Vinker202 New Member

Appreciate you sir...I don’t know why they so insecure...

11. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Yup. Coil-taps on PRS guitars (at least the more recent ones) have little to no noticeable nor appreciable volume loss. You could confirm this yourself with the core or S2 line. Can't speak for the SE line, because I've not owned one myself.

Well, sometimes tact is in order and when it's lacking it sometimes comes across as brash or uncivil. TBH, these folks are quite secure in their beliefs about PRS guitars. The insecurity may be perceived; I'd just not worry too much. We each have our own quirks and personalities.

To be safe, I'd be sure to read the forum policy about conduct on the forum. We're a mostly a friendly bunch, but like many folks, we bristle when forum conduct rules are taken too lightly or if an individual (sometimes the new guy) asks questions or makes statements that may be innocent, but misinformed.

The folks who've posted above were trying to tell you what coil-taps are. The kicker is that not all coil-taps on all brands of guitar are the same, which may be the reason for your misunderstanding.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

I am liking the parallel wiring better than split or tap.

13. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

What make/model guitar has the parallel, LBB? A home-brewed mod?

14. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Vinker202, your initial post read:

Which is both incorrect and misinformed.
    When others posted actual useful information about coil tapping, you replied with:
    So you don't seem to be looking for constructive input, just affirmation of your initial snarky statement. Then you get butthurt when we react critically.
    Coil taps have a very different tone from just reducing the volume, and with smart use of one's rig, the volume loss is easily compensated for. If you don't like the sound, that's cool for you, but I doubt you'll find many here who agree, when a huge percentage of PRS guitars have always featured coil tapping.
    Have a nice evening.

Andrew Paul, Casi1, shimmilou and 2 others like this.
  15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy New Member

We installed a Dimarzio D Activator X set into my S2. I opted for a parallel wiring instead of coil split. I am liking it better.

#15 littlebadboy, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Tim S and bodia like this.
  16. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

With higher gain sounds, it's not going to make a whole lot of difference unless you are being super critical.

When you have an amp in the edge-of-breakup sound, the tap will make all the difference in the world to the tone, expressing the Stratty single coil experience with it's wider tonal range and more picky attack.

Andrew Paul and Casi1 like this.
  17. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

I once owned a Parallels virtual machine that allowed me to run Windows apps on my Mac. That was the extent of my "parallels" experience, though. Sometimes knowing when to get off the internet highway is also a wise move.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  18. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

I think pickup-tapping is as useful as it sounds usable to you, depending on the pickups and split-design involved. I personally love the sound of the splits on the 58/15 LTs that are stock in the 594. They sound great and I use them all the time. PRS makes their coil-tap sound louder usually by using a resistor to ground, called a "resistor tap", when the tap is engaged. The value of the resistor determines how much of the signal goes to ground. The PRS website has all core wiring diagrams online for you to inspect. You'll find most if not all guitars with taps (594, DGT...) will have a resistor on their tone pot's up-switch leads. Having a coil tap is a bonus. If you don't care for it, you don't have to use it. Have fun tapping that!

Andrew Paul likes this.
  19. GuitarJammin

GuitarJammin New Member

Love the taps on my 594...No loss...big tone. For some reason i think my Silver sky coil taps on my 5 way switch are broken :confused: :confused::confused::D

Andrew Paul and ViperDoc like this.
  20. GuitarJammin

GuitarJammin New Member

Well....in really Hi gain situations....going to coil split is like throwing sliced bananas in your chicken soup.

Andrew Paul likes this.