Coil tapping toggle switches on my Paul's do nothing

matonanjin

I should have pursued this long before now. But I haven't had the need for them and I just keep forgetting about it. But testing out a couple guitars at CME last night and hearing the huge difference the coil tapping (should) makes reminded me that I need to get this resolved.

As the title suggests switching the toggle switches does absolutely nothing. No changes in tone with either switch. Is this something a competent local luthier can resolve? Is there a "try this first" type step I can try? Should I just send it to PRS and have it done correctly without worry?

I would start with contacting PTC first , Your issue is most likely a short or if you got the guitar used someone messing with the electronics a good local tech should also be able to sort you out.

I second Rider's suggestions. The WL509 that I got in October/November came with a similar issue. I contacted Customer Service. Shawn had me send some pics of the wiring cavity. I could see where a wire had come loose, and it looked like there was a jumper that was missing. It wasn't actually missing, but had come off in the cavity. I was willing to do it myself, with some direction, but Shawn thought it best to send it back for Warranty work. Turns out it had a wonky volume pot, too. Quick turn around, as well.

plug a guitar cable into your guitar, clip an ohm meter to the end, put all the knobs on 10, push/pull your push/pulls and see if the kohms change.
You should be approximately half the humbucker kohms when you split. So if you have a 8kohm split will be 4kohm, 16kohm then 8kohm single.

You can also tap on the coil poles with a small screwdriver while plugged into the amp as you push/pull and should hear a change.

Open up the control cavity and see if any wires are going to the push/pull switches. Possible someone converted them to 'do nothing' switches.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will open it up and look for anything obvious like a loose wire. And I'll contact customer service. I bought it new.

If it turns out to be totally fine, you wouldn’t be the first person who had difficulty hearing the difference.... just sayin’.

That's what I was thinking. I don't find that there is enough difference between the two settings for me. It's more of a small mid scoop/hum generator to my ears.

Plug straight into a clean amp with the volume cranked and then see if you can tell. You might have noticed in the shop due to playing through a different rig.

For reference, the Brent Mason treble I have measures 9.37kOhm in humbucker mode and 6.08k in single coil mode. The Paul's treble should be in the ballpark of that. Note that it is not a standard split wiring configuration.

Back