Coil-tap options for triple humbucker?

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Dusty Chalk, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

(Feel free to assume this is a newb question and mention the obvious if there is one -- I'm just unfamiliar with all the different electronics options.)

I'm tempted to send my Henderson to the PTC to add some coil-tap options.

Is there a standard way of selecting coil taps on triple humbucker guitars? In lieu of that, is there an electronics for triple humbucker guitars that you guys feel is intuitive?

I'm trying to figure out a way to get most -- if not all -- of those wonderful "middle" choices on the 408 electronics adapted to 3 humbuckers. You know: humbucker neck + coil-tapped bridge, humbucker bridge + coil-tapped middle, etc.

I'm tempted to do something like the Super Eagle 5 mini-toggles, except with those 2 mini-toggles, have them swap the phase of the bridge and neck pickups, so I can get that classic "quack" of out of phase pickups. Would something like that be reasonable/appealing/desirable (to me as a guitarist, experimenting with tone)? Or do I want to try that once, hear how bad it sounds, then put it back and never speak of it again?

2. jeffgoobs

jeffgoobs New Member

You'll also want to consider various series and parallel combinations of the split coils to create "new" humbucker tones in addition to the phase options.

3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member